Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hotfoot

Incoming Exchange problem

I am new to Exchange, so I did the typical geek thing and just dove in and started playing around. I have installed Exchange 2k on my Win2kAS server. I am able to send email from this domain that I have setup, but I am not able to send to this domain. I have setup my MX record to point directly to my IP. These MX records have been in place for over a week now, and I am still unable to send mail to this domain. I am sure that I am missing something very simple. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

The eternal newbie.....

Could be a number of things. Where did you try to send the mail from for it to be received by the server? Was it from outside the server or from within the server itself?

If from outside the server using a regular email provider account - it could be that the reverse for the Exchange Server is not working properly.

- or it could be that your backbone provider is blocking certain types of traffic or ports required for Exhange to recieve mail or respond to reverse lookups by external servers for mail traffic

I would suggest extensive port and traffic testing

Also analyze your firewall and server logs

Also you may find this link helpful

http://www.zoneedit.com/smtp.html?ad=lookup

Hope this helps

Just doing a few checks with the tool you had provided, I am able to receive those test emails. I am not however able to send directly to this domain. If you have any more ideas or suggestions they would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

The eternal newbie.....

So you tried the SMTP test and the pop3 test link as well? Were these tried from an external computer or from the server? Best to use an external computer. That way you will be able to see the results of what the problem is.

Was anything displayed on the test results for the one that failed?

Both were tried from a computer outside of the network. On a different ISP. Both tests showed no problem.

The eternal newbie.....