Sign in to follow this  
chuckko

Advice needed laptop backup solution.

Hello,

My group currently has about 8 DELL C800 laptops with

30gig hard drives.

They have firewire 4 pin ports.

I am looking for a combination of backup devices

and backup software that are known to work well together.

I tried Norton Ghost 9.0 and a Lacie Bigger Disk (triple interface drive with firewire 6 and 4 pin and USB 2.0.)

Could not get Ghost to see the drive hooked up with the 4 pin firewire cable. (Support from both companies was useless and I returned drive AND software.)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I'm not sure of your specific problem however regarding the general backup solution I have a few ideas.

The 1 we use at work is as simple as configuring all 'user' areas to be on the network. Typically this is everything in Documents & Settings (you see we're using Windows2K/XP here) and some other odd areas like the C:\temp folder that one of our bespoke systems uses.

All of these areas are setup to synchronise so I can work offline and then synchronise when I dock my laptop at work on the LAN.

This is great for our situation however trying to sync over a remote connection (such as a dial-up conenction) would I guess be a nightmare considering some of the file sizes.

Another option is to use a USB (if poss) or I assume a firewire external harddisk. Backups are simply a matter of a dead simple batch script that copies files over to the drive. You could schedule this in Task scheduler however you'd have to be careful of files that maybe in use, so you could configure the script to run on shutdown (I think this is in the Group Policy Editor off the top of my head).

I tend to use Ghost type solutions for building or backing up entire machines- i.e. where a complete disk image is required.

Anyhow, I hope the above is of use- u never know it may have just got you thinking smile

S