Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey

Linksys Wireless G Adapter

Hi, i am trying to get a Linksys Wireless G Adapter working on my linux computer. I can't seem to find any drivers for it. The model number is WUSB54G.

Thanks for the help,

Corey

the WUSB54G uses the PrismGT chipset. The prism54 driver doesn't yet support

USB. (see prism54.org)

Until then, your best bet is to use DriverLoader or ndiswrapper.

I'm having the same problem with my WUSB11 v3.0, Linksys doesn't make drivers that will work in Core 3 (my problem), I'll keep my ears open and hopefully we can help each other with this.

I certainly hope that a solution could be found. My aunt has a Linksys Wireless G router and card which she wants to pass to me but i can't use them.

For what it is worth, I got my Linksys WMP54Gv4 PCI card (Ralink) chipset working in Fedora Core 3 with the Ralink supported driver and in Suse with the package from Sourceforge.net. Prism based cards are also supported.

The pci cards seem better supported than usb, depending what chiset is used. Different, sometimes even the same version of a card can have their manufactured chipsets changed midstream, which is interesting.

There is other driver support from Linuxant for Atheros and some usb models. My laptop is working with an atheros chipset based D-Link card, using the Linuxant package and Win XP drivers. The same model and version may have different chipsets, depending when they were made. Look at the cd that came with your card to see what the chipset seems to be, based on the drivers included in the cd.

As martouf noted, the WUSB54G is not supported at all, even with the Linuxant software using Win XP drivers.

I am currently writing a how-to for my Ralink (Linksys) card and plan to have it up soon and will post the results.

So, I guess there is some hope out there, as these issues are being actively worked on. I know this does not help those who currently have unsupported cards and usb models, but this points out the need to investigate what cards to use, if you are looking at wifi cards to use with a Linux system.

Quote:
As martouf noted, the WUSB54G is not supported at all, even with the Linuxant software using Win XP drivers.

ndiswrapper -does- support a USB-connected wlan device using a WinXP driver.
I just recently gave it a go (using ndiswrapper-0.12 and a Buffalo WLI2-USB2-G54).

Linuxant says DriverLoader also supports a USB device (as of August 2004).

Yes Linuxant does support some usb models, except, as per their web page;

Quote:
Note: Version 4 of the Linksys WUSB54G Wireless-G Network Adapter is currently not supported

Linksys WUSB54G work great with CVS - Version of ndiswrapper under

Linux 2.6.X (X >= 9).

I reached some trouble by using the Win-Driver from the CD, but after

downloading a new one from linksys - WEB site, I reach no problems

at all for some hours of using it...

Hopefully this helps...

smile