Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
awacs alaska

XP login Page Corrupt or completely gone?!.......

I use the program "XP LoginUI" to change the login pages for XP home on my desktop. Apparently I downloaded a bad screen because now when I load windows it will get to the point where it is about to load to login page, but instead it will kick out a message "[path/file name] Insufficiant Quota" or something to that effect. I have tried going through windows safe mode, but that apparently needs to use the login page as well. With the Xp disc, I have tried Recovery Mode but, secondary problem, I don't can't remember the admin password to my computer. Any help people can give me would be excellent. Also, ideally I would like to retain everything on the drive that windows is currently installed on (i.e. mp3's etc.) Thanks!

I can offer two possible solutions.

Try the first before you try the second.

1) REG.HACK

In your WinXP bootup menu (F8), you should see something like "Start with Command Prompt". Try starting it.

If you get command prompt, execute: "regedit".

Go to this key in regedit:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon".

Entry named "UIHost" should have value "logonui.exe".

Entry name "Userinit" should have value "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,".

If your Windows directory is different change it.

Note! The last character in the string is comma!

("C:\YOUR_WINDOWS_DIR_HERE\system32\userinit.exe,")

Reboot and see if that helped.

2) REPAIR INSTALLATION

Boot with XPCD and when you get to "Windows XP Professional Setup" and press Enter. Agree the license (F8) and press "R" for repair.

If you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation, DO NOT continue installing without repairing as that will overwrite your data.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

When the setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact.

---

Quote:

I don't can't remember the admin password to my computer.

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

---

Good luck smile