Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

software licenses

what are the different software licenses?

i knew some like freeware, shareware, and also commercial. Is there any other type?

What do they mean by this? Like say for example for shareware, what do they mean by shareware? What does each of these software licenses mean?

Jarves,

What you ask would require a lot of space to really address fully. Might I suggest that you go to Google. They have a great index of definitions of terms. You access definitions quickly by typing (for example) define:freeware.

I am not trying to be evasive, I just cannot type that much smile

Good luch in your research.

Bill

is the term license correct! I mean these freeware, shareware, commercial stuff correct. is it correct to call them software licenses?

Are there any other types of software licenses that i do not know that you know? maybe you can please list them. smile

What type of license is it for windows os? is it shareware?

how bout for linux! is it freeware?

Ok For a quick solution heres just a broad outline of the licenses

Freeware: You dont have to pay to use it ie Linux

Shareware: This also known as demo(stration) version you get limited usage either limited time or fuctions. To get the full version you would pay for it.

Commerical: This generally mean off the shelf or a custom solution that you pay for. ie Windoze

These are just broad outlines to get a in-depth defintion do a search for it

Minor correction. GNU/Linux is not freeware. Its free software. Freeware means that the software can be obtained and used for no money. Free software means that the user has these 4 freedoms of usage.

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).

* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Quite different from freeware. More info at

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html