Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kevorocker

Hardware problems...

I can't seem to find a working linux compatible driver for my gineric rockwell sound card. i don't know the model number or anything, i just need a list of drivers for linux if they have any. (can't even find the "rockwell international" website!)

And one more thing. i can't get my USB 2.0 HP multimedia keyboard to work with SuSE 9.1 home. I've had to borrow my moms Ps/2 keyboard. Any help installing it would be great!

SuSE 9.1 home edition - - - Rockwell international sound card... HELP!

Kevorocker,

You didn't mention what distro of Linux you are using. Of all the hardware sound can be one of the most frustrating to configure.

You might want to go to the alsa site. Alsa is an abstraction layer for sound and I have found I can usually get generic sound running with it.

As for your USB keyboard, it would really help if you would say what distro you are using. I have them working, but in different ways. It really does depend on the Linux you are running.

HTH

Bill

Is it a Rockwell WaveArtist sound card?

Were the sound card and usb keyboard present when you installed Suse? You should have seen a general list of hardware durng the install, one being the sound card. it would have said if the card was configured or not. It is easy to miss.

Is this an HP system? If so, which model?

HP 9680C (dont make fun!)

keyboard WAS present, sound card WAS installed, and just so you know, SuSE 9.1 Home edition. and from what i hear that has it all.

I never laugh at HP systems. My Dad bought three of them. He uses Windows, so they work for him.

The HP page notes that only Windows 98 is supported for this system. The audio, if you have original equipment, is an audio/modem combo card, a Conexant/Rockwell Chameleon combination. This system was built to run Windows only, so I expect you will have all kinds of issues with Linux and the audio and the modem, which is a softmodem (winmodem).

I expect the keyboard will meet the same fate.

Finally, if you have the original cdrom drive, an LG, don't try Mandrake 9.2 on your system. There is a hardware problem (actually a firmware issue)with these cdrom drives. using Mandrake 9.2 will trash the cdrom drive!

I looked at my Suse 9.1 install. As I suspected, no drivers are there for the audio.

Take a look at this site to get an idea of what your up against.

actually i have absolutely no problems running SuSE 9.1 as is, i can plug in any ps/2 keyboard and it works great. my system runs linux better than windows when i HAVE the keyboard plugged in (the ps/2 one not the hp USB one).

Im wondering if i can get the cheapest supported (supported by SuSe)sound card for my pc (some $25 crap), and then just buy an $8 ps/2 keyboard. Im thinking for 33 bucks i can get it to work. you guys think this 'll work?

Any Soundblaster compatible card would be fine, among others. Just be careful about cheap Soundblaster Live cards over the internet. Many are legacy Dell or Gateway variety cards that do not work well and are designed, you guessed it, to work well only on Dell or Gateway systems using Windows. Most other inexpensive cards work reasonably well. Make sure they are compatible with any open slots that you have. Most retail boxed cards work well.

If possible, don't use the same slot that the combo card was in, and yes, remove the old card. Check the HP site for your system to see if a setting has to be disabled in the bios for the combo card.

I guess the main issue here is how are you connecting to the internet?