Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dias24

Problems with audio cd tracks in some games (especially Sentinel Returns)

The topic title says it all, really. I can't listen to the music tracks in the Sentinel Returns game.

The led indicating that the system is accessing the cd only blinks briefly, when the game is being launched. After that it stops blinking, as if there was no cd inserted.

I've tested the cd's audio tracks with Windows Media player and they work perfectly.

Enabling compatibility mode doesn't help. Running the game in software and 3DFX (I'm using a glide wrapper) makes no difference in this matter.

I already tried installing the game in the C:\ partition instead of E:\, but the results are the same.

Other games with audio cd tracks work just fine (Mortal Kombat 4 and Pod, for instance). Tomb Raider has the same problem (no music), but I guess that's because it's a DOS game.

Btw, in case this is any relevant, I own a legal copy of the game.

Any ideas would greatly welcome.

Hmm, I wonder if this is an issue with how the game is attempting to access the audio tracks, let me explain.

With Windows XP the default method of Audio CD playback is digital ripping rather then the old analog style. So you have to do some checking here to verify this.

1) Open the CD or DVD drive properties and look for the option that says enable digital CD Audio for this CD-ROM device. It's normally checked so uncheck this box.

2) Now attempt to playback the audio tracks via Windows Media Player or whatever you happen to use.

Does the audio still work or does it stop working now ?!?

If it still works then this verifies that you still have an analog audio cable connected to your drive and the sound card.

If the audio stops working it most likely means that you don't have an analog cable connected to your drive. These cables are pretty cheap to get however does this mean that the game also uses analog audio cd output or is there something else still going on ?!? Not sure yet but this will help narrow down what the cause could be wink

Not sure where you got your info jmmijo but it is wrong.

I can play audio tracks on any cd with or without "enable digital cd audio" box being checked and I do not have an analog cable going from my sound card. Has more to do with if the device supports CDDA.

Originally posted by american zombie:

Quote:
Not sure where you got your info jmmijo but it is wrong.

I can play audio tracks on any cd with or without "enable digital cd audio" box being checked and I do not have an analog cable going from my sound card. Has more to do with if the device supports CDDA.

No I'm not, here's what I'm trying to say here is if you are playing a game that only plays back the standard Redbook CD Audio, this is going to be a an analog output only, hence the reason for finding out if you have an analog audio cable connected or not.

You can easily change your Windows Media Player from a Digital Audio Playback to the older analog output by changing the properties in WMP via the Tools -> Options -> Devices Tab. Look for your optical drive then change the following.

Playback (Digital by Default) change the Radio Button to Analog. Sometimes you also need to enable the Use Error Correction button too wink

Now Mr. Smarty Pants, try that without an audio cable and listen for any CD Audi Playback laugh

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:

No I'm not, here's what I'm trying to say here is if you are playing a game that only plays back the standard Redbook CD Audio, this is going to be a an analog output only, hence the reason for finding out if you have an analog audio cable connected or not.

You can easily change your Windows Media Player from a Digital Audio Playback to the older analog output by changing the properties in WMP via the Tools -> Options -> Devices Tab. Look for your optical drive then change the following.

Playback (Digital by Default) change the Radio Button to Analog. Sometimes you also need to enable the Use Error Correction button too wink

Now Mr. Smarty Pants, try that without an audio cable and listen for any CD Audi Playback laugh

Did what you said and all still works just fine so I still have no clue what you mean.

Ah, I see what's happening, you're right and I was wrong on this wink

Be default XP Home/Pro enables the digital CD-Audio for this CD-ROM device be default. Basically this is in the Properties for each optical drive you have installed in your machine. If you uncheck this box then do the change in the WMP to analog it will indeed behave as I stated.

I guess this whole thing is a nice learning experience, so I thank you for this laugh

@American Zombie, you are a smarty pants, but in a good way wink