Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dsnd_medic

How do I auto activate my modem in Redhat ?

I have just installed Redhat 9, the OS see the modem OK, but if I want to go on the Internet, I have to go into the network setup area as administrator and manually set the modem to active. How can I set it up to activate when I start up my browser ?

Thanks

Andy

What type of modem? 56k, adsl,cable? I'm presuming broadband. When you open redhat-config-network, have a look around it there. I think it's in edit/hardware or something where you check a box that tells it to intitiate the network connection on boot.

shocked

Er.. well I still have to use a 56K modem at the moment and want the modem tp dial up when I run Mozilla......can you still help ?

Andy

You'll want to use either kppp or wvdial to set up and dial your iInternet connection. Just go with kppp, it will be in your menu. You'll have to configure it which is pretty easy. Have a look at it, and if you need help let us know.

Hi Dan

I'm using the gnome desktop, but was unable to find kppp, the only place I find I can set up the modem is in the network area.

Is it located in an obscure place ?

I'm only groping around with linux at the moment so treat me like an idiot :-)

Andy

Hey, no problem Andy. You're in new territory here so it's all gonna be unfamiliar to you for a while. smile

You can open up all your programs from the command line as long as you know it's command. Let's see if you have kppp installed. open a terminal, any will do, and type:

kppp

And press enter.

Anything there?

If not, it should be a simple matter to install it. Just open your redhat package manager and look for kppp. I believe it's in the kde section. Just for fun, let's see if you have wvdial installed. Also from the command line, become root. You do that by typing:

su

And preseeing enter. It will ask for your root password. Enter that and press enter. Notice that the '$' sign is now a '#' sign. This means you are now Super User. Type:

wvdial

And press enter. Is it there?