Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluecoconut

Hard Drive not detected after Fedora III install

I installed a new Hard drive and got rid of the old one. I chose to start by installing Fedora Core first. It installed perfectly well. Now the problem is that when i boot, my computer does not detect the hard drive anymore!!

Although whenever I set the fedora instal cd again, it finds the installation.

Any advice for me? I am royally stuck

i tried to fdisk, no drive detected....

How can I remove it and start over?

Could you add a little more information? By not seeing the hard drive, do you mean that Fedora will not boot-up? The bios does not detect it?

By fdisk, do you mean via fdisk from a Windows boot disk, or Linux?

How is the hard drive jumpered? Master primary?

What hard drive is this new one? Make and model?

Allright, i figured how a bit more from Linux, but I am stuck now.Fedora will not boot up, but when I boot from the cd, it does realize that there is an installation there. As of fdisk, when i do it through Linux it finds the drive, but through Windows it does not.

The Primary Master and Slaves are not detected.... I am not too sure which harddrive it is, I just got the guy at the store to put up one. But he didn`t install the OS.

I managed to delete all linux partitions within linux. I did some more searching and now i think, i understand that windows does not read linux partitions, so that may be one reason...

Correct. Windows fdisk will not see the Linux partitions. But, as you found out, the drive/partition space is still there. Since you deleted the Linux partitions, they are no longer there. If you choose, you can now reclaim the space with fdisk, or if you are using Windows XP, the partitioning utility within Windows.

If you are planning to re-install Linux/Fedora again, let us kno and we will walk you through the installation.

Fedora will install a bootloader (grub or lilo) when it is installed. At some point during the installation, it asks you where to install Grub or Lilo. This overwrites the master boot record (assuming that you picked this option)and allows you to boot Windows or linux. Are you able to boot into Windows now? If not, what version of Windows is currently on the system?