Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dazz1973

Gainward 6800 Ultra - any good?

I did a complete upgrade in early 2004, all except for my graphics card as I've been waiting for HL2 to be released. I have an Intel 3.0GHz cpu and 1gig RAM and run WinXP SP2. My current GPU is an Asus Gforce 4 4400 128mb.

I have an AGP port and have been looking to buy a Gforce 4 6800GT or 6800Ultra.

The most reasonably priced 6800 Ultra card I can find is Gainward 6800Ultra/2600 TV/DVI/DVI 256MB (Model no. FX6800Ultra), for $830 Australian.

I cannot find any reviews on this model. The most detailed information I can find is: http://uk.insight.com/apps/productp...03YGH#mainspecs.

That website doesn't give any recommendations, conclusions or compare it to other 6800 Ultras, so I was hoping people could help me out with some information.

Is Gainward a quality card maker?

Does anyone own this card and/or recommend it or not?

Does anyone know how this card compares to others in its class?

Does anyone know of any full reviews of this card?

Thanks

Dazz

I've got the Gainward FX5900 256MB card and I'm extremely happy with it, I play HL2 and Couter Strike Source at 100% full graphics, everything on high and then I get between 130 - 170FPS

Thanks Wicked,

I want to play HL2 and Doom 3 at full specs. Sounds like the Gainward can do it and the build quality is apparently quite good from what I have picked up.

Dazz

I want to play HL2 and its mods at top specs. I've heard from another source that Gainward is a quality brand, so I will probably buy this if they still have them in stock when I get home to Australia on 28 January.

Somebody did say the X800XT was best for HL2, don't know why, but I do know nvidia support pixel shader 3.0 and radeon doesn't yet (I know not many games are making use of pixel shader 3.0 yet, but they will in the future, so seems smart to get a card that supports this).

Dazz