Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mizzzjulie

Internet browsers no longer work after SP2 install/uninstall/reinstall

I installed SP2 for Windows XP home edition back in September. Everything seemed fine. Then, I got a game that was supposed to work with XP but didn't. I (stupidly, yes I know) uninstalled SP2 to try and get the game to work. It didn't help anything. I re-installed SP2. However, now I can't use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox to browse the internet. IE crashes and Firefox doesn't respond at all. I do have internet connectivity though because I can get my email in Outlook and, weirdly, I can browse the internet using Outlook. That's what I'm doing now, in fact. I type an address in Outlook's "address" bar and I can get to any page online. It's popups that are a problem since they try to open a page using IE or Firefox and that won't work. Does anyone have any ideas what I should do? I am at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated. Even my roommate who is a computer whiz can't fix this one. Thank you in advance!

Julie

mizzzjulie@gmail.com

Havew you tried using the System Restore function to go back to point before installing the game?

If not, try doing a repair install to fix your problems.

I'd do a repair installation, with your original XP disk or a slipstreamed XPsp2 disc.

I would check to make sure you are pulling an IP address. Then make sure you can ping something out on the internet, such as www.com (worlds shortest webaddress). If you can ping out, but nothing works, I would suggest trying a program called winsockfix. You can download it here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

I have used this many times when an overlay or back and wipe/load seemed the only option. It repairs your winsock files for you, which is a pain to do manually (seems obvious from the name, but) and I have seen an incredible success rate with it. It even offers the option to do a registry backup before proceeding.

Hope it helps.

I have the EXACT same problem and I am extremely frustrated about it. smirk

It worked fine with SP2 but I was having some problems with other programs fo after about a month of use I decided to uninstall SP2 and then I come to find out that Firefox and IE no longer work.

I tried repairing SP1 by reinstalling Windows by doing the repair from the CD but that did not work. Firefox shows a blank page with source:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title></title></head><body></body></html>

and Internet Explorer either shows 'Page cannot be displayed' or crashes.

If I go into My Computer or go to the C: drive or any other folder and then type a URL in the address bar while in a folder, it starts working but it's very annoying and new pop up windows crash.

Please help, I'll REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance :):):)