Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
firechimp

Overclocking An Athlon 64 3000+ (newcastle core)

can any 1 help me with overclocking my cpu. i have an athlon 64 3000+ (newcastle core) and 2 sticks of 512mb ddr 400. i kno my motherboard supports overclocking and so far i have got my processor which usually rins at 2ghz to 2.3ghz, when i attempt to go to 2.4ghz it blue screens or restarts. i dont think temperature is an issue here as the temp doesnt seem to increase above 40 degrees so i tryed increasing the voltage some more. i currently have it on 1.6 so i increased to to 1.65 then to 1.7 and still it crashed. any ideas? im new to ocing and im probably doin something daft. ive checked out other sites and others have said that they can be clocked over 2.4ghz. thanks

I'm not exactly an overclocking wizard myself however I had no probs with my OC.

Have you locked the timing on the AGP and PCI?? You need to do this so that your graphics card and PCI devices don't get overclocked as well. Sometimes you can get away with it but I found that anything over 3.3Ghz (from a 2.8Ghz P4) disabled my sound and caused other interesting effects (like SATA hard drives getting way too hot).

You also may need to adjust your RAM timing.

Also, another chip on the motherboard could be dying possibly. For instance, the southbridge can get really really hot and some poeple forget to cool that too.

I'd suggest that this link may help:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=overclocking+guide&meta=

You might find that starting from the beginning of one of these guides might help you. I suggest printing one out since you'll be doing a lot of rebooting whilst you tweak your settings.

Rgds

S