Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shekharleem

cant use 40GB harddisk in my pentium I pc

got problem with my pentium I pc

i recently bought a 40 gb hdd but i can't use it cause my bios doesn't recognize it

help

Most likely the motherboard BIOS can only see up to an 8.4GB HD. You will have to get a controller card like THIS one to use that hard drive smile

Maybe you can update your Flash BIOS (I had exactly the same problem with a PENTIUM I and I solved it in that way). Check your BIOS manufacturer's site and look for updates for your bios model (when you boot, take note of the version number and model). Read carefully the instructions befored flashing your BIOS, it's a risky task for your PC.

Good luck,

Federico

Another thing to try is to partition the drive in small 5 mb or 8 mb sizes. See what happens.

Originally posted by theefool:

Quote:
Another thing to try is to partition the drive in small 5 mb or 8 mb sizes. See what happens.

If the BIOS can not see the hard drive then he will not be able to partition the hard drive, and what are you gonna do with about 5000 8MB partitions, that will be useless.

BIOS older than May 1999 usually do not recognize drives over 32GB. Solutions:

1) use BIOS Pather (at your own risk, however, i my opinion it works good) - it will patch current BIOS to recognize drives up to 137GB,

or

2) find BIOS on manufacturer's site and flash (manufacturer and model can be found on board, usually between PCI slots, manufacturer can be recognized from lower BIOS string on first boot screen),

or

3) install IDE controller.

Linux box router/web/mail/mysql server

Win95 for DOS games

File server

Christmas Light controller

Many many things.