Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LinuxCrusader

Apt-get upgrade error with frozen-bubble-data!

Does anybody get the following error when trying to do an apt-get upgrade in Knoppix 3.7 or any debian distro?

I'm trying to install some apps and it won't let install any because I keep getting this same error when it tries to upgrade Fozen Bubble. Any idea how to fix this? :x

Preparing to replace frozen-bubble-data 1.0.0-4 (using .../frozen-bubble-data_1.0.0-6_all.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement frozen-bubble-data ...

mv: cannot stat `/usr/games/frozen-bubble.wav': No such file or directory

dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1

dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/frozen-bubble-data_1.0.0-6_all.deb (--unpack):

there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up

preinst called with unknown argument `abort-upgrade'

dpkg: error while cleaning up:

subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/frozen-bubble-data_1.0.0-6_all.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Maybe try:

apt-get remove frozen-bubble

Then, after it is removed:

apt-get install frozen-bubble

I tried removing it but I keep getting the same kind of error.

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

The following packages will be REMOVED:

frozen-bubble-data

The following held packages will be changed:

frozen-bubble-data

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

10 not fully installed or removed.

Need to get 0B of archives.

After unpacking 5747kB disk space will be freed.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

dpkg: error processing frozen-bubble-data (--remove):

Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should

reinstall it before attempting a removal.

Errors were encountered while processing:

frozen-bubble-data

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I just installed FB on my box and everything ran smoothely. I'm not as up on Debian as other package managers, but it seems it's telling you their is something wrong with frozen-bubble-data. Maybe clean out your present downloaded packages which frozen-bubble-data is one:

apt-get clean

And start over downloading the packages again. Maybe it's continuing to try to use the problem package because it's already there but can't because it is broken.

For moment I thought it was working there, but I got the same error again after I ran apt-get clean. I also tried apt-get autoclean and no luck removing or installing frozen-bubble-data. I also removed manually any files or folders that pertained to frozen-bubble and tried to install it again with apt-get and same kind of error.

Man! That's pretty wierd! I can't imagine why you're having this problem. Send Egorgry a PM in case he doen't see this thread. I'll bet he'll know how to fix it. Sorry I couldn't help more...

Thanks for trying Dapper Dan. Yeah it is very strange. It won't let me upgrade or install any package just because of this error.

Thanks again,

LC

I got your PM. I'll reply here to keep the info flowing.

sound like you may have some corruption on the disk or with the pkg

1. is it just frozen bubble that chokes?

2. Run dpkg -s frozen-bubble to check teh status of the pkg

3. install synaptic if you haven't and check the section labled "broken packages"

4. If none of the above works for you try to reinstall dpkg

apt-get install --reinstall dpkg

5. Have you rebooted? try running fsck on teh root disk to see if it's got some coruption if the reboot didn't do it automaticly

Knoppix is not pure Debian so there may be some weird knoppix thing I'm overlooking, like the fstab stuff . smile

Quote:
1. is it just frozen bubble that chokes?

yest, technically it is just frozen-bubble that is choking. However, if I'm trying to install or upgrade any package, it is trying to upgrade frozen-bubble-data and of course this is where I get the error.

Corruption on the HD, I hope not man but I'll try the options you've suggested and the fstab as soon as I get home from work. I was really starting to like Knoppix with the way I have it currenly customized and with the ability to easily install any package I want.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

So where do I start:

1. Knoppix wouldn't let me install any kind of package because of the same error that I previously posted before that it is trying to upgrade frozen-bubble-data.

2. I ran dpkg -s frozen-bubble. Results: It said it was ok or installed. I ran dpkg -s frozen-bubble-data. Results: that it was half installed or broken (something like that).

3. I couldn't installed synaptics or reinstall dpkg because of the same reason I already stated before. (Oh yeah, I also rebooted a couple of times)

4. I ran fsck and this is where the d-day begin. It stated that there were erros, a million of unconnected inodes point to the wrong direction and therefore they needed to be deleted and fixed. Stuff like that...go figure. Too many of them errors to read so I kept saying, "yeah...sure fix it!" When I get to the end, it saids I need to reboot my computer. I reboot and guess what. KERNEL Panic!!! I was like no problem. I have two more version of Kernels, but no luck. All of them died in d-day. So what's next?

I'm moving on...I had it with knoppix. What's a good distro out there to mess with now. I have read Reformats thread on the battle of distros but I don't know what to say, except that I sympathize with him. I feel like if these are the 1980's us battling with an OS that we really like and that we know that it is going to be huge one day but which also needs to really be improved in many other ways. Hopefully soon the it'll catch up with our current time. Maybe one day when we are old we'll look back and tell ourselves..."remember those days?" But guess what? I'm broadcasting right now from a Live CD knoppix. I have Windoze on my other 80Gig HD, but it's depressing to even boo it up.

I tried FC3 and it is just unstable. LM 10.0...it was rock solid in my computer, but 10.1 I'm not sure if it was the download that must have been corrupted or the the OS because just as I read in some threads I was able to install it, but on reboot there was no interface to log in just a blue background with the mandrake star...very funny.

Anyways, I need a good distro.

Follow these step-by-step and you should be okay:

apt-get --reinstall install

cat /dev/null >/usr/games/frozen-bubble.wav

apt-get --purge remove frozen-bubble frozen-bubble-data

apt-get -f install

Quote:
baeyogin
Posted - 2005-01-19 02:09:33

apt-get -f install

Well, I think it is too late. Don't you think? Running fsck messed up by box so I can't even access my linux box anymore with any of the three different versions kernel that I have. Last night I used the Knoppix live CD to recover my data and that's because I had formatted my HD into three partitions and the one specifically for data storage is ok, but trying to access the root partition where knoppix is installed just gives me an error.

I wish you would've posted this earlier and I think would've been ok.

Thanks.

Quote:
I can't even access my linux box anymore with any of the three different versions kernel that I have.

Let me make a few suggestions. You have tried a number of distros, including Knoppix, which is a fine distro, in my opinion. it also looks like knoppix worked fine for you, until you tried up[censored] some packages. Did you really try three kernels with knoppix? Or were you referring to three different distros?

When I install a disro, I stick with the base kernel, unless I really have a good reason to update the kernel. The base kernel is designed to work the best in any distro that you use. It is always best to stick with it, this avoids real problems. Once you get comfortable with usng Linux, then you can decide if you really need to upgrade the kernel.

Adding packages in any distro, especially a Debian distro can be a challenge at times. I had the same problem with Frozen Bubble and it sounds like the fix is posted on this thread.

Rather than jumping around from distro to distro, try to decide what one is suited for your needs. Try to stick with it, especially if ir has most of the packages that you need. When you run into an issue, post a question and wait for an answer. While waiting, google around and look at other who have had problems like yours. Most likely you will find one. Try not to get frustrated with glitches, as they do happen.

Many folks feel that they need to upgrade, as soon as they get the distro up. This is not always the case. In the case of Knoppix, it is a very complete custom Debian distro. It is designed to work with the packages already in it. Same with Mepis.

If you feel the need to update (not upgrade) the distro's packages, do one at a time. If one causes issues, let us all know. We will do our best to help.

The secret with Linux is patience. I'm sure that you will find one distro that will work for you. There are tons of new hardware out there that makes finding a Linux distro difficult, especially with the ever evolving hardware scene. Same with Windows.

What about Mandrake 10? What was problematic with that, if it ran "rock solid" on your system?

Quote:
danleff
Posted - 2005-01-19 05:19:18
Did you really try three kernels with knoppix? Or were you referring to three different distros?

Lilo had the options of booting up my knoppix with kernels 2.4.27, 2.4.4?, and 2.6.9 (Something like that). However, thinking that the latest would be faster or more secure, I would often boot it up using the latest one.

Quote:
What about Mandrake 10? What was problematic with that, if it ran "rock solid" on your system?

There was nothing wrong with LM 10.0 at all. The only two things I didn't really like were the rpms, which wouldn't install sometimes because of dependencies, and the GUI to update, which I never succeeded at getting LM ever to be update maybe because I was less knowledgeable and I'm not even so sure if I could do it now. I wanted to try something new I guess.

But thank you though Danleff for the motivation. I was sort of thinking the samething that I should just install it again into the partion that got messed up but it is just going to be more time to install the apps that I already had such as MPlayer where you have to download, unzip, and compile a bunch of files just to get it to run. I'm debating if I should go back to Mandrake 10.0 of reinstall it again. If there was an easy way to install and update packages in Mandrake, such as apt-get I propbably go back to it. Maybe there is and I'm just not aware of it. The good thing about debian distros(kde based) is that if you can't find a package, you can use KLIK to install your packages such as for knoppix, simply Mepis, etc.

In Mandrake, many of the packages that you need should be right on the cd disks 1-3. Did you try to install any packages using the "Configure you Computer" option in the Mandrake Control Center? this is designed to deal with dependencies within the packages included on the three cd disks.

Quote:
baeyogin
Posted - 2005-01-19 02:09:33

apt-get -f install

I have beautifully reinstall Knoppix again into my system. I had this same problem after I had done some updates and upgrades, but I follow these steps that Baeyogin posted and it re-installed frozen-bubble with no problems at all. Now I'm going to mess with the Fstab issue and see it works as well. Thanks Danlef, Dapper Dan and everyone else! smilesmile

A few suggestions. With Synaptic or apt-get. Try not to upgrade. This can cause some issues with installing packages. Stay with up[censored], as this maintains the system, with updates to a stable running system. Upgrading actually moves the system to a more advanced level, which is considered more "unstable" (in terms of packages) state. This is better left for experienced users.

In terms of the kernel. It is best to stick with one kernel. If you upgrade the kernel, and you are happy with it, stay with it. The reason being that certain packages that you install (say NVIDIA video drivers) are kernel version dependent. If you install NVIDIA drivers using one kernel version, you need to re-install the package again if you uddate the kernel, so that it rebuilds the drivers for that version's library tree.

Potentially, making other changes in the system, such as modifying fstab, may be kernel dependent, as well. As kernels are released, some subtle changes can be made to how hardware and filesystems are handled (say scsi detection) and can affect how such devices are handled. The reason that the old kernel is retained in the boot options, is as a fallback if the new kernel causes some unexpected problems with the system. That way, you can fallback to the older, proven and stable kernel.

wow, That got ugly quick huh? fsck didn't hose you had big problems if there were that many invalid inodes. sounds like you got some good expierience anyway. wink

Hello LinuxCrusader, hello group,

I had the same problem trying to save some filespace when remastering Knoppix 3.7. As you stated, after apt tumbled over the broken(?) frozen-bubble package, it was stuck.

The solution (for me) was to create a missing file - reinstall - (re)remove. Settled!

touch /usr/games/frozen-bubble.wav

apt-get install frozen-bubble-data frozen-bubble

apt-get remove frozen-bubble-data frozen-bubble

The original source of this information can be found here (German language, though).

Maybe someone will benefit from this clue. (-:

Quote:
blank
Posted - 2005-01-28 09:51:27
Hello LinuxCrusader, hello group,

I had the same problem trying to save some filespace when remastering Knoppix 3.7. As you stated, after apt tumbled over the broken(?) frozen-bubble package, it was stuck.

The solution (for me) was to create a missing file - reinstall - (re)remove. Settled!

touch /usr/games/frozen-bubble.wav
apt-get install frozen-bubble-data frozen-bubble
apt-get remove frozen-bubble-data frozen-bubble

The original source of this information can be found here (German language, though).

Maybe someone will benefit from this clue. (-:

Thank you for the feedback Blank.

By any chance, have you been able to modified your mounted partitions where the can get loaded into. What I'm trying to say is that Knoppix loads your partitions onto the desktop, but if you change its icons and their locations, then later after rebooting these partions are back to default settings again onto the desktop.