Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mthaler

SQL throught SMC Barricade Router

I am trying to set up a way to connect a remote office to a SQL database being run on a workstation that is used to collect data from GPS devices to track drivers. The local lan has the machine with the SQL workstation and one client that captures the info and passes it to the database just fine. So it works on the LAN. I can't seem to get it to go through the Router from a workstation in another town.

I programmed the Router for port fowarding to the workstation on Port 1433 IP and Port 1434 UDP. No Joy. Tried using 1434 as a trigger to send traffic through port 1433. Nope.

I even tried setting up the DMZ to the one workstation.

I have been testing via the Shields Up web page which always lists the port as there but CLOSED.

Any recommendations? Hints?

Thanks,

Maurice

When you setup SQL server, sometimes you have to 'fiddle' the router. I dont know if this is the proper way to do this since I'm an Oracle lad myself so not much experience with MS databases.

The problem your router may have is that they like to see an application name. Of course, this is tricky since you want just general connectivity.

You can try this:

Setup an ODBC (System DSN) connection for your database (in Control Panel/Admin Tools/Datasources ODBC), that points to the SQL Server. Make a note of the name.

On your router, configure the port forwarding but specify that the application is called whatever you have just named your ODBC connection. Then fill in the ports fields as you have been doing.

Hopefully what should happen now is that when your machine connects via ODBC, the firewall will see the connection name and let it through. This is probably why shields up says the port is closed, since it all boils down to this application name.

If it doesn't work, post back your router info (make/model) and also your way of connecting to the DB. In Oracle we have ODBC/SQLNEt etc. I assume SQL Server has similar?

S

Still pounding on this one.

The router is an SMC SMC7004VBR Barricade Router.

It does not really have a lable for the ports you are forwarding.

I went into the ODBC and tried to setup the link to the server, but it failed on every test. I am really clueless as to the way that this connects to SQL, the program just reads some info through a serial port and sends the information to the SQL server via port 1433. When installing the downloader software, it asks for the name of the server, and I have tried quite a few combinations.

Just an update on this now resolved issue.

It turns out that IF you have SP2 installed on XP, you NEED to have SQL SP3 installed or it won't listen on external TCP/IP. Simple solution that was not available to a SQL newbie like me...