Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iamroot

unable to shutdown with Fedora Core 3

I just installed FC3 yesterday and i discovered that i'm unable to shutdown. Whenever i attempt to shutdown, i get this error msg

psmouse.c : bad data from KBC - timeout

Btw, I faced this problem as well when i upgraded to a 2.6.9 kernel on my old FC2 installation so im guessing that its a kernel issue. Can anyone here help me out? I don't want to have to do a hard shutdown everyday...

I'm using the 2.6.9 kernel in ProMepis Beta 3 and not having many of the problems folks are reporting with the same kernel in FC3 so I don't think it's a kernel problem per se. I'm staying away from Core three for another few months... wink

From the threads that I have seen, this is mostly an issue with laptops and synaptic touchpads. However, there are also references to desktops also. I am curious, do you have both a usb mouse and keyboard? What make/model pc is it?

I bet it is a Fedora and hardware issue.

I have also seen some patches posted by the kernel experts, but with varied results. Fedora just posted an updated kernel, but it does not make mention of this issue that I could see in the changelog.

I m using a custom-built pc. Using BENQ USB keyboard and Microsoft Intellimouse Optical.

psmouse.c : bad data from KBC - timeout

This is a keyboard controller issue. Do you have a PS/2 keyboard that you can plug-in and see if the issue goes away? I don't know the solution, but it would be interesting if this solves it.

Yeah. I'm going to try it out and we'll see. I'll post the result here when i'm done...

The problem persisted when i switched keyboard but when i switched my USb mouse with a PS2 one, the error msg disappeared but i still cant shutdown. Everything proceeds as per normal except for the fact that my com doesn't turn off. Weird...

What motherboard/system is this?

I had to add acpi=off to my lilo config. to solve the shutdown issue. I forget what Fedora uses (or if it gives you a choice), since I use lilo from my Lindows install as my bootloader.

I had a similar issue with shutdown hanging on my Gentoo box running 2.6.9, which was also fixed by upgrading to 2.6.10.