Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ruined

Roland RS-70 USB interface & WinXP SP2

Just picked up a new Roland RS-70 synth for $685 on closeout. The USB driver for it, however, does not work with XP SP2.

Here is the driver:

http://www.rolandus.com/support/updatesdrivers/files/RS70Win2000USB.zip

It installs, detects fine, but if you go under midi properties within the driver it says the driver is enabled but not functioning properly. I tried copying over the files in the archive with files from a newer Roland keyboard (Fantom-X), but I ran into the same issue. Any other ideas anyone has to get this USB device working properly?

Roland's official line is that it worked fine with XP SP1 but XP SP2 has broken compatibility, and the driver guys in Japan haven't responded to their inquiry. It looks like it was originally a Win2000 driver.

On another note, anyone know what USB <> Midi interfaces work with SP2 well (Voyetra, Edirol, M-Audio)?

I have solved the issue. It appears to be the fault of a bug in Windows XP. If you navigate to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Then go to the "midi1-9" keys, you will see that most are probably taken up all by the same driver. Delete one and reinstall the Roland usb midi device driver, and all works well. Apparently there is a 10 driver limit, and windows once hitting that cap will not install anymore drivers, even if all 10 drivers listed are the same driver.