Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tom-boy

FlashGet : a serious spyware threat?

I just downloaded and ran M$ AntiSpyware and it gave a rather big load of potential threats, affected registry keys and files concerning FlashGet 1.3. Neither Spybot nor Adaware regarded it as a threat. So, should I be worried? Is it really as malicious as AntiSpyware claims or is this just some sort M$ threat tactics in the works? I do realise that FlashGet is ad-supported program and therefore collects data but since I use it only on legitimate and 'innocent' sites it doesn't really matter that much. Annoying it is nevertheless, no doubt.

I'd remove it unless you are using the paid/full version.

It is known to install spyware in the free mode.

From http://www.safer-networking.org/en/articles/download-managers.html

FlashGet (1.40, spyware-infected or paid mode)

FlashGet can be installed in two modes - one ad-sponsored, one ad-free shareware mode that needs registering. I tried the ad-sponsored version, and indeed it did install Cydoor.

The interface by the way reminds me strong of one of the other tools I tested (screenshots will be added later to this article). With only 5 simultanous download connections, it was only half as fast as Download Express, but it can be set to use up to ten.

My opinion about this one is that you can get better download managers for free.

If you dont mind it collecting info and about you and targeting you with crud then go for it! I'd use another download mananger such as umm i dunno... Download Plus

hi there

I used flashget at 1 time, but i found much better and free alternatives to 2 of the most used programs on windows.

www.freedownloadmanager.org

And

www.advancedbrowser.com

Both of these titles are completely FREE and also FREE from any known kind of spyware that i know of, and have very good advanced features.

Enjoy & hf smile

Hi and thx for tips for alternatives. I tried DownloadPlus but couldn't get it to work with Firefox, so instead got LeechGet2004, which seems to be a nice manager also. On the basis of the link ScinteX posted, it too is supposed to be free of spyware-hint, hint. But I keep those other two in mind as well and give 'em a shot, just to compare which is the best.