Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Nvidia GeForce MX 4000 problems!!

My old TI 42000 GeForce 4 ran perfectly. This one is giving me fits!

It says right on the box that it's Linux compatible, and it works perfectly with the "nv" drivers. Looks great. The problems begin when loading the "nvidia" 3d Accelerator drivers. In SuSE 9.1 and ProMepis Beta 5, I get the exact same problems which are...

When booting into kdm, the Nvidia screen comes up and won't go away! You can see some of the kdm options on the Nvidia screen but it won't let me "log in" from this screen thus, I can't run my DE.

When I do a Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a prompt in which to re-edit /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4), I get a screen full of cubic psychedelic colors. This situation will not change unless I put in the live CD and edit XF86Config that way as I can't see or get to it otherwise.

I installed the accelerator drivers in SuSE 9.1 with Yast just like I did with my old TI 4200. In fact, I installed the Nvidia drivers on at least 3 separate occasions with Yast and they always worked perfectly. I've never had problems installing the Nvidia drivers with any other of the many distros I've ever used with the TI 4200.

I also installed the correct packages, (GLX and the Nvidia kernel) with apt-get without problems in ProMepis. I haven't yet been able to locate anything on the net relating to this problem.

Is this card not compatible with the Nvidia 3d drivers or am I just doing something wrong?

The latest driver (6629) appears to be broken. I had the same problems with the same card. If you try the older (6111) driver, it will probably work fine; it did for me.

nvnews.net has had quite a lot of complaints about this driver under its Linux support section, and it seems it's not just the 4000 card either.

Adrian (using Mandrake 9.1)

Welcome Zarni.

Yep it is 6629. At least it is in ProMepis. I just updated the kernel to 6.2.9* from 6.2.7 hoping to build Nvidia with the newer kernel. I read on a Fedora Forum they were having the same trouble but upgraded kernels and the problem went away. I'll let you know how I come out... Thanks again.

@Dapper Dan (wrote ...)

"My old TI 42000 GeForce 4 ran perfectly ...

I just updated the kernel to 6.2.9* from 6.2.7"

Boy oh boy, how time flies! A Ti42000 under kernel 6.2.9. :))

Seriously, DapperDan: The time spent here, helping us folks ceaselessly in a 24/7 manner has obviously caused a malfunction in your numeric coprocessing unit :))

Lean back, relax, take a break - but do come back (to spill more tips and all that smile

blackpage, you haven't heard about the 6.29 kernel?? Linus released it just about a month ago. He said the 2.*.* kernels were getting him down so he wanted to make a quatum leap.

The new kernel so far will run my radio station and do all the bookwork, wash my cars and miraculously create food in my icebox out of thin air. But I swear, the damn thing won't run my GeForce MX 4000!!!