Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tdaughenbaugh@hugoschools.com

XP Rebooting on Start-up

I have a problem with 4 identicle xp machines rebooting on start-up. In one of the machines I've replaced MB, CPU and HDD. When I had replaced the HDD with another one out of a fully working identicle machine it worked fine, so obviosly the HDD is the problem. From recovery console I have run both fixmbr and fixboot a number of times. I've also re-installed xp a number of times prier to running the recovery console.

If anybody has any suggestion or tips, please let me know, I would be very greatful!!Thanks

Since these are all identical machines, then you have an somewhat easier time finding the culprit on this.

It also sounds like each one is doing the same thing or are you saying just the one machine is doing the spontaneous reboot thing ?!?

If it's just the one machine and the fact that you've replaced some of the obvious components, I have to recommend that you try the power supply on this one machine. Swap it out with one of the other power supplies from one of the working machines.

If the problem goes away then it looks like the power supply is at fault. However, try one more thing to verify this, install that suspected bad power supply into the same machine you swapped it's power supply out to test with. If the problem now shows up on that machine then you've really found the problem component wink

A couple more things to try as well is the memory and when you re-install, don't do a repair install, delete the partition and reformat (LONG) to make sure everything is working properly. I know it takes longer but it can possibly find other issues too, like if the HDD is faulty as well.

I will try switching out the powersupply. All 4 of the computers have the exact same re-boot problem, so I've been "experimenting" on just one machine in hopes that if I find the problem with this one machine it will be the exact same problem as the other 3 machines. I also failed to mention that I had switched out the RAM on this one machine, as well as I had done a full deletion of the partion, and full re-installation of XP. (sorry, I've been working on this problem for about a week off and on, so I didn't remember everything I had done)

Thanks very much for your feedback!! I will try the powersupply.

Yeah, do you have any spare parts to test with ?!?

If not then you're going to need to get some known working parts to test with or call in a consultant that has spare parts to test with or if these units are under warranty, then call the manufacturer wink

As for any more tips/tricks, well nothing else you can do until you get some more spare parts to test with unfortunately frown

lol, well. I am the consultant. I can swap out brand new parts if need be. I work for a school district. But switching out 4 HDD's is costly and I'm trying to avoid that. I already know its the HDD because I switched it out with a known working one and the machine booted just fine. The machines aren't under warrenty unfortunatly. They are at least 3 or 4 years old.(P3's 733MHz) Anyways.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a system in house with the same issue: reboot at windows black logo screen (about 40 seconds into the boot). Other help says that it could be the SASSER virus, but I can't seem to get past a corrupted SAM file.