Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
prof

xbox and wireless laptop!!frustrated beyond all belief

Hi I have been trying to hook up my xbox live using a crossover cable from my laptop to my xbox so i can share internet. The problem I am encountering is an error message that says ics cant be enabled because I do not have the ip address 192.168.0.1

and i do not know how to fix this. I would hook it up another way but my roommate and i share internet and she has the cable modem in her room. My laptop uses a wireless card from netgear which is the router that we use. This is probably a daft question but i could really use help.thanks.

Hi Prof,

Ive never used ICS in XP but i think I may have the solution, or at least the cause.

Normally ICS is used when your PC is "the gateway" to the internet.

Therefore, it should have the IP of 192.168.0.1 and then any other devices connecting to this PC for internet connectivity get IPs like 192.168.0.2 , 192.168.0.3 etc.

However, in your case the router has 192.168.0.1 and your laptop might 192.168.0.2 (or maybe 192.168.0.3 if your friends PC had connected to the router before you did and thus he/she got 0.2)

The easiest solution is to connect your XBox directly to the router (thats the preferred way anyway) and then you can forget all about XP and ICS. ICS is only really used for USB/PCI type ADSL modems when you don't have a router.

ScinteX

Oops I forgot to mention (sorry its been a bad day)

When you connect to the router, obviously you need a really really long network cable or the wireless adaptor for the xbox. Obviously the cable is cheaper :P

The last thing I thought of that *might* work is something like this (this is pure theory and I havent looked at it on the net or tested it- so a very long shot!)

Configure the router to use a different IP range (or to start at maybe 192.168.10) - you can fiddle with this in the config of the router.

Then, on your XP box, go into netowrk properties and check the box "use the following IP address"

Set in there 192.168.0.1 (the subnet mask should populate automatically).

Then try it with ICS. Dont know if it will work... it might.... you might need then to tell ICS that your router is on a different IP.

Good luck!

S

There is some step by step advice here:

XBOX

The problem is that routers often default to IP address 198.162.0.1, but MS ICS must have that address for its gateway.

Therefore you must change the router IP address.

Hope it works.

Russell

There is some step by step advice here:

XBOX

The problem is that routers often default to IP address 198.162.0.1, but MS ICS must have that address for its gateway.

Therefore you must change the router IP address.

Hope it works.

Russell