Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

Best FREE FTP Client and Server Programs out there in your opinion?

THIS is what I use for my FTP Server Daemon wink

THIS is what I use for my FTP Client wink

The FTP Server is freeware but the FTP Client is a commercial product, however I think it's worth every penny laugh

Hiya,

I tend to use ncftp for my ftp client. As for server, I use the windows native if I need it, or if I am feeling particularly dynamic I would install ftpd for cygwin.

I know they're not the easiest things around to use but I started out on the net with command line apps running on unix servers and sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks smile

Lee

I have to agree with Lotus about Filezilla. I am using the client and I like it a lot.

As far as servers go I am using http://www.guildftpd.com/GuildFTPd. It is very easy to configure but at this time it does not run as a service. There are instructions on running it as a service but I have not been able to get them to work. Supposedly they are working on a new version that will run as a service but that has been in the works for over a year now.

Filezilla works great. I used to run Serv-U, but Filezilla is much slicker.

The only downside I've found is that passive transfers on the internal network cause Filezilla to randomly lock up during transfers and not authenticate logins. I get around this by having external and internal connection profiles on my laptop.

APK,

No offense taken. I just read and post to help out whomever I can. I'm not looking for any gratitude.

All I can hope is that my $.02 will help someone in some way.

Good luck with the tests!!