Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sasfmj

USB 2.0 1GB flash drive

Hi

Ive just gone and got my self a 1gig usb2.0 pen drive

how do i get this to work in mandrake 10.1 when i plug it in comes up with some message saying disabling irq 13 or something

all so when i have it pluged in on boot up it stops on the detecing hardware bit and dosent move on!!

and when i goto control centre and goto the hareware section and it trys to detect my hardware and i have it plug in it just sits there of ages and nothing happens

can anyone help me ????

thanks

USB 2.0 drives can be problematic. Did you insert the pen drive in a usb 2 slot? In other words, in one of the primary usb ports on the back of the box, or a secondary port on the front of the box?

Also, did the flash drive come pre-formatted?

Any way to check and make sure of this? Can the pen drive get detected in Windows, if you have Windows installed?

What make and model pen drive is this?

yeah i put in the back off the pc i know this works because yes i use the pen drive in windows and it works fine

model is a Rundisk 1GB (rm-ur22)

thanks

Look at the users manual. It gives full instructions on how to mount the card in Linux. Assuming that you have no other card plugged into usb;

Try the following, as root user in a terminal;

mkdir /mnt/rundisk

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/rundisk

Then use the file manager (in superuser mode) to navigate to the directory. You should be able to read and write to the disk, assuming that the write-protect tab is not switched to "on."

hi again

i was able to make the dir using:

mkdir /mnt/rundisk

but then i used:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/rundisk

it come up with an error saying:

mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

Im using the new RedHat linux now the Fedora Core

if ya need to know that ??

thanks alot

I've experienced something similar when booting a 2.6 kernel.

(disabled irq message, boot 'hang' with USB flash media attached)

it was caused by ACPI and 'cured' by supplying the kernel boot parameter:

acpi=noirq

hi again

so where do i add that line 'acpi=noirq' ??

in /dev/ there are no files etc called 'sda' at all

????

thanks

Don't worry about the dev/sda1 just yet. Are you using Grub or Lilo as your bootloader?

Hi,

I'm also a newbie using Fedora Core 3 (on a Dell 600m). I don't know if this will fix the IRQ problem, but this is what I did to get a 64MB stick to work:

1. Open up a terminal and make yourself root:

[user@localhost ~]$ su root

Password: type-in-your-password

[root@localhost user]#

2. create a folder into which you can place (mount) the memory stick information. I called the folder "usbmem" and placed it into the "media" folder:

[root@localhost user]# mkdir /media/usbmem

3. edit the File System TABle (in the file /etc/fstab), which is where the system looks to know what to do with hard drives, CDs, memory sticks, etc.

[root@localhost user]# gedit /etc/fstab

This opens up the fstab file in the Gnome Editor (ignore all the messages about permissions and stuff; something about SELinux is going on). Using the Gnome Editor, add this line to your fstab file:

/dev/sda1 /media/usbmem vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0

and end it with a carriage return, then save. The "/dev/sda1" is what my system calls a new USB memory drive, and the line above says that it will be in vfat format, that the contents should be placed into /media/usbmem, and gives various permission information.

Now exit out of being root and close the terminal.

4. Instruct the system to automatically mount drives that are inserted or hotplugged. In Gnome, you go to:

Applications > Preferences > Removable Storage

Make sure that "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged" and "Mount removable media when inserted" are selected. Close. I don't know how to do this in KDE, but I'm sure there's something similar.

That's all I did, and now when I stick in a USB memory stick, it takes a few seconds, and then a USB memory icon appears on the desktop. Hope that helps.

hi

im using grub as my boot loader

and i dont think i have gedit how do i fing my editing programs

i know i installed them there just not on any menu??

cheers

I think all the editors are in the folder /usr/bin

If you don't have gedit, any editor will do, like kate, kedit, kwrite, etc. If you use something more complicated like abiword or openoffice.org writer, then make sure the file is saved as just a simple text file.

I also want to know how to pass commands like acpi=noirq to the boot loader. It's probably done by editing some script executed at boot. Maybe /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ? But I'm a little afraid of doing that without knowing more.

Good luck!

to pass the boot option if you are using grub edit the file

/etc/grub.conf

there will you will see a line

title <linux distro>

below it another line

kernel <parameters>

at the end of the kernel <parameters> just add the parameters you want to pass to the kernel at boot time.

next time you reboot the parameters will automatically be passed.

i don't know how to do it in lilo. you can try editing the lilo.conf file.

if you want to pass the parameters just once and not every time your computer boots then you when you get the grub menu at boot, you can edit the boot options and add the parameters in the same place as mentioned above.

hi

so i editd the /etc/grub.conf

and added the acpi=noirq at the end

and pluged in the usb flash drive made a new device on my disktop

and there it was under 'devices' and i clicked it and it worked

so thanks guys for ya help

cheers

Matthew

Thanks, shobhit, for posting the answer. I've been a little busy and did not get back quickly.

...and sasfmj , nice work! 8)