Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

Trillian vs. GAIM - What's better?

I can't really say since I've only used Trillian wink

"It's all about you isn't it Raymond?"

I too won't be much help because I've never used Gaim. But I just have to say that Trillian is one of the few programs I wouldn't be able to live without.

I used 2.x forever but this new version is beautiful (and they managed to fix the few issues I've always had with it such as messages not sending and odd connection problems). Unfortunately I use it for everything except IRC but it's become my permanent replacement for AIM, ICQ, YahooIM, and MSN (because I have stubborn friends that only use their favorite messenger, so I need to use all of them). Nothing beats having 8 different messenger accounts sharing one buddy list. I'm forever hooked.

Anyway, for anyone interested you can get it here http://www.trillian.cc/

All I can say is "Holy crap!"

I've been comparing the latest versions of GAIM and TRILLIAN.

I don't have a write-up or anything but the Trillian interface is better than Gaim. It's more intuitive.

Gaim is cross-platform. Trillian is just for Windows. So if you switch between Linux/Windows alot and want the same interface you'll want Gaim.

Gaim is of course free and opensource so you can add any plugin that you want or write your own.

So if your strictly a Windows user and had to choose between Trillian and Gaim then I'd go TRILLIAN.EDIT...OOPS I said GAIM before! ALso if you switch between Linux/Windows you would use Gaim on Linux and Trillian on Windows anyway since Gaim for Windows seem's a bit flaky wheras Trillian is more polished.

[Edited by dosfreak on 2005-01-07 01:13:22]

Heh. Yeah I goofed. I meant if you were using Windows exclusively then you'd want to use Trillians.

Since your playing around with IM's. Check out Miranda: http://www.miranda-im.org/

Make sure to download the latest beta ver.

GAIM interface seemed a bit unresponsive for me so just on that basis I'd go:

Trillian

Miranda

GAIM

If your just going for responsiveness of the UI.