Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Problem Upgrading 2K to XP Pro

Well I finally broke down and got a copy of XP Pro for my home system to replace Win2K Pro. I ran the system compatibility test, and had no issues so I started the upgrade. After setup copied the files it restarted. This is where my problem is. Upon restarting, the XP logo comes on screen and before the progress bar makes it across once, the system freezes. I then tried to do a clean install, and again it freezes in the same spot (about 3/4 of the way across)

I have never had this happen and frankly, don't know where to begin troubleshooting.

These are my specs:

Intel P4 3.2mhz Prescot 800mhz FSB w/ HT enabled

Artic Cooling 4ProL HSF with Artic Silver 5 compound

DFI Lanparty Pro 875B Rev. B Mobo

1 Gig Kingston PC3200 in Dual Channel Mode (DDR400)

2 Maxtor 60 Gig 7200rpm HD's

Radeon 9200SE 128mg Vid Card

Using the Onboard 6 channel AC'97 Audio

48x CDRW Drive (Not sure brand)

Does anyone have any idea's why setup freezes before finishing? What is actually happening when windows loads up the first time. I never even made it to the keyboard/time setup screen, which I believe was the next step. *sigh*

I am off to research this some more, I hope someone has some insight on this!

- Lotus

Oh btw, I did run chkdsk to check for disk errors (none found) and I also tried starting in safe mode which also froze. I really don't have any cards in my system besides my vid card, so I can't think of anything else to try except change a few bios settings and maybe try to underclock my cpu.

It would help if I knew what was happening when the system froze. I don't know much about XP yet (always been a 2k guy)

- Lotus

Could be memory/overclock.

http://www.memtest.org/

What's odd is that if it was memory you should have had issues when XP was extracting the files off the XP CD....

Wait a minute...When starting in safe mode it should show a black screen with the list of drivers that it is loading. Did you see that?

Yes I did...iirc the last thing to load before it froze was agp something. I don't use an AGP card though. I do have an old Geforce II card I can throw in that is AGP just to see if that makes a dif.

All the hardware I mentioned is new. I bought it all mid October and never had any issues with Win2k. I am going to go home and grab my system on lunch break so I can work on it here at work after we close. I'll at least be able to have internet access that way.

Btw, thanks for replying. The girlfriend won't be happy if she can't use e-mail lol. I wish I had some spare pc3200 kicking around, but alas I don't. I'll try the video card thing though and let ya know how it goes. I read somewhere that someone else had the exact problem I am with an ATI card. *crosses fingers*

It's highly doubtfull that's the prob, I'll have to look again but I believe AGP is the last thing to load (that you can see on that screen anyway), then it kicks over and starts the GUI.

I believe alot of people had issues when XP came out and it wouldn't install as smoothly as 2k....until they underclocked. That was awhile back tho.

Well, I made "very little" progress. I disabled all my onboard stuff, set my ram to run @ 266 instead of 400mhz. I can't underclock my CPU though. Anyway, I made it into safe mode, but of course got the "Setup cannot continue in safe mode, setup will restart" message. After restarting in normal mode same thing happened. Froze. Now with the bios setting changed, I am going to try the upgrade again. I haven't swapped the vid card yet, I too doubt thats the issue. I hope it goes this time.

Something else worth mentioning. Windows won't setup in the usual GUI. It starts to prepare for installation...hangs a sec, then goes to the old blue screen with progress bar across the middle to copy files. It has no problem copying files either.. It gets done, says it's saving configuration, then says it's going to restart. Ater restarting the problem is there.

After trying to upgrade again...the XP logo appears and this time no prgress bar goes across the screen. The system just hangs there. Grrrr. Maybe I'll just go back to 2K. This is really annoying.

Yes my hardware does meet the requirements. I did try out my other video card and had the same issue, and I also tried doing both the upgrade(first) and a clean install (on freshly formatted HD). I decided to just go back to Win2K. Hell I never had any issues with it, so why I went for an upgrade is beyond me. Just wanted something newer I guess. Anyway, Win2K is back on it and working like a charm. I'll just hold off until Longhorn comes out =)