Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dford

Windows XP doesnt get to login screen

I've had the problem with Windows XP where the machine boots up, but stops before getting to the login screen. It just sticks on a screen displaying "Microsoft Windows XP". I've tried starting in safe mode, but no luck.

I'm not sure if this is a virus or a serious problem with my system.

Any ideas?

Hi there!

I have exactly the same problem as dford!

My WinXP Pro SP2 stops just right before the 'Welcome' screen.

It just displays a blue screen (not BSOD!) with the Win XP logo on it. I can use the mouse arrow (but nothing to click?!?!), but I can't CTRL+ALT+DEL or anything!

Even with safe mode the error occurs.

And even with 'Last Known Good Config'

Before heading to a repair install over my previous one, I will wait for some feedback on this because I guess this is a rare problem... (I've searched the net and dford's post was the closest/similar description I've seen to my problem...)

On XP install I had only the necessary services, Sygate Firewall and spybot updated and AntiVir software updated....

With a rescue CD I have, I can access eventlog, but I can't find anything helpful or any hint in it...

Any clues?

I also have struck this problem with a customer with a Compaq laptop. Exactly the same symptoms, and not easy to find a cause.

Anyone out there able to help?

Agreed, I just fixed a laptop that was doing this very same thing. The new bios took care of the problem.