Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Drahken

Routing and Remote Access

I have a network with one Windows 2000 server as the PDC and DNS server using Active Directory. It is connected to the internet by a Cisco router with internal address 192.168.2.1.

The server NIC info is as follows:

IP : 192.168.2.2, Subnet : 255.255.255.0, Gateway : 192.168.2.1, DNS : 192.168.2.2. I am using DHCP for the clients and passing the Router as 192.168.2.1 & DNS Servers as 192.168.2.2 in the scope options.

Everything works fine until I activate Routing and Remote Access. I set it up as a VPN server in the wizard using DHCP to hand out addresses. The moment it is activated I lose all internet connection on the server, but can ping to any address on the network. The clients can ping the router (192.168.2.1) but cannot ping the server. They also have no internet connection. If I stop the RRAS server all goes back to normal. I have tried removing the gateway from the NIC card (which is a dual card with the other connection disabled)and have also tried turning on IPforwarding in the registry all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Drahken, Not able to offer any help since I'm experiencing almost the same issues.

After having just replaced my PDC with a nice new shinny number I can't get the Internet routing working.

The 2k AD Server seems to be set up fine with DNS,DHCP all upp and running serving clients quite happily. Apart from routing to the DSL swith/router (DLINK 604+).

I've set up the DHCP scope options with the default gateway of the Router IP. However the only machine which will connect to the internet is the server. Which is obviously manually configured Static data in the Network TCP/IP properties.

A quick IPconfig of all client machines show the expected details but no conection.

Have you got anyway with the routing? Or can anybody else offer any hints?

I seem to have gotten a little further.

my network clients now pick up (most) internet sites now after I tweaked the DNS entries around a bit more.

I removed the "." entry in forward lookups as detail in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q229840

I found this through another DNS walk through article:

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/1474461

Although this seems to have fixed most things I still have a few sites where I get a Page Cant Be Displayed browser message. Not sure if its still a problem my end or not.

FYI: I'm not running the routing service, and I have also registered my routers IP in DHCP as a reservation. Along with the "03 Router" entry in "Scope Options"

HI,

I have a similar newtwork by the sound of things, and maybe you could check a few points.

The server needs to have a static IP address, and the subnet and gateway configured in

mynetworkplaces/properties/network/TCPIP/properties. You should then point it to itself for DNS server. Ie put in the static IP you chose as the DNS server.

Then in AD/DNS, go into properties and select DNS forwarding and put in the IP addresses of your ISPs DNS servers.

On the work stations, in mynetworkplaces/properties/network/TCPIP/properties, you should have selected "obtain an IP address automatically" They will get their IP from the DHCP server. Then you put in the IP of your server for the DNS servers.

The PDC cannot use its own DHCP server.

I found this site very helpful

www.wown.com