Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TYW

Generic RAMs for Dell Dimension 8300

After a few visits to Dell website, I found out that my Dell Dimension 8300 has non-ECC 400MHz DDR SDRAM installed in it right now. I want to put another 2 Gigs into the machine but buying Dell rams = very very expensive, buying Kingston rams for Dell = expensive (however they are returnable if not compatible with my Dell), buying generic Kingston rams (on sale right now) = very cheap (1/6 of the price of Dell RAMs) but cannot be returned unless defective.

I don't think there should be any issue with installing 2 X 1 Gig generic PC3200 400MHz non-ECC DDR SDRAM into my Dell Dimenion 8300 but thought that I better check with the gurus here.

Any suggestions or ideas?

There are no guarantees. Dell makes a fine computer as long as you keep everything Dell. There are certain tweaks that give their machines an edge and memory is one of them. It is possible that you can add the generic type of memory if you know the latency. Generally, these are in increments of 2.0. 2.5, and 3.0. Memory is cycle/timing based as it refreshes. You have a better shot at compatibility if you know the rate of your Dell memory.

Is there any markings on the Dell memory chips that tells me the latency? How do I know if the Kingston generic memory will match the latency?

I am assuming that the Kingston RAM made specifically for Dell Dimension 8300 will work. At least, Kingston guarantees it anyway.

For this exact reason, this is probably the last Dell I will buy.

Download a program like CPU-Z and run it. It will tell you what the CAS and the latency of your memory on the Dell is.

The Dell RAMs within the Dimension 8300 has a CAS latency of 3.0. The generic Kingston PC3200 RAM also has a CAS latency of 3.0 so it should be compatible. I have heard from others who have used the generic PC3200 RAM with no problem at all. As for me, I found some used Dell RAM on eBay which I bought for cheap. I saved some money but hopefully, the modules do not arrive DOA. Thanks for all the help.