Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ReFoRMaT

Red Hat, oops, I mean Fedora still sucks...

I found the solution for the 'Sound System' problem. smile It would appear that some of the settings in ProMepis are not defaulted as they should be (the settings after defaulting are much different than right after a fresh install). All I had to do was click defaults, then apply. I don't friggin' believe it! Didn't even lock up! I think rebooting once in awhile helps too. Linux reminds me of windohs 98, once it gets a hold of memory, it is slow to 'give it up'.

Correction...I updated all INSTALLED packages (after installing glx for the nvidia driver to work) in apt-get before the sound started to co-operate. I have the master at 100%, PCM at about 65%, mono down and muted and both 3D's are off. The startup sound file is choppy but after that the system and media sounds are fine (haven't tried the cdrom audio yet). Tip: restore the Kmix window, click settings, configure Kmix, check restore volumes on login, apply, ok (I couldn't figure out why they were always going back to bad frown <--duh). I 'scanned' a couple of forums regarding the nvidia lack of refresh rate but it looks like there is no fix right now. 76Hz is better than 70, serious eye strain begins at 72Hz. Even though the odd program likes to quit for no specific reason (pretty rare), I would take this distro (ProMepis) over Suse any day. Fedora and Mandrake went in my garbage can along time ago so I won't even 'go there'! wink

KsCD is playing Moby/Play/Porcelain as I am typing this. Somebody was thoughtful enough to 'gray out' stop disk before changing drive association. I only had the left channel until I opened Kmix, muted then unmuted CD and boom, both channels. It would appear any Linux needs a little 'push' here and there.

I just joined this site with the understanding that this was an open forum to help people with problems and further understanding and use of Linux as an OS.

On other threads I found people who had problems and were seeking help. I was happy to try to assist them when I felt I could.

I have been running Unix/Linux for 30 years. I am fortunate? to manage a few hundred sites' servers in locations around the world. I run mostly RH as I started with it many hears ago and I guess I just stick with what I know. Heck, I just gave up on WordPerfect a couple of years ago. But, I did not think this site was for blanket condenmation of a particular distro.

In any event, may I suggest that the site would better serve the community without blanket condemnation of a particular distro without providing, to the extent possible, detailed information as to the problem (including snapshots of appropriate configuration files and logs, etc.). If someone has fixed the problem, they can post the solution. If someone has a problem they may ask for help.

I personally run over a dozen computers in my home on a network connected to the world. Some machines are very old (Pentium MMX 200 Mhz) which work very well as cvs repositories and mail servers to 3.6 Ghz P4 with tons of memory. I have RH, Debian, WindowsXPro, VMWARE running all over the place. NOT ONE OF THESE MACHINES came online without my having to configure services and "tweek" settings.

When someone sends me a problem report (in my job) I want something better than "it sucks, is slow and I hate it". I want information and details about the problem. Then, maybe, I can fix it. If I cannot, at least I can pass information to someone else who may.

Wouldn't that be a good way to use this forum?

You don't sound much different than a couple of IT people I ran into in a broadband forum. I supplied tons of proof than certain tweaks dramatically improved connection speed in pppoe/win98se and I got the 'you are just a simpleton home user' attitude and was dismissed as a fraud. I don't care how many networks you have serviced or created and what 'letters' you have after your name. RED HAT/FEDORA SUCKS. Maybe redhat was okay years ago for 'servers' and ultra geeks but today people want a distro to replace windohs. NOT A BUGGY PILE OF DOG S**T. Red Hat was clumsy for home pc's to start with, then they (Red Hat Corporation) hung it out in the 'breeze' so to speak, aka the Fedora project to get 'free' labour from the public (upgrading and debugging). MAKING OTHER SO-CALLED NEWBIES AWARE OF ALL THE FACTS MIGHT SAVE THEM SOME HEADACHES AND TIME BY AVOIDING LOUSY DISTROS (Fedora is not the only lousy distro out there). The Debian PROJECT is absolutely fantastic but, in my opion, the distro is 'lacking'. That is why I chose ProMepis and will shout how great is from the roof tops if I have to. I have not spent one minute in a classroom but have mastered all flavours of 'home' windohs (including 2k pro), built and repaired many new and old machines and am now 'moving on' to Linux. I think other 'home users' like to hear the honest truth from somebody more on their level. Maybe Red Hat was the only 'major' distro around back in your day but it is a totally different world now.

Have a nice day! wink

ReFoRMaT you need to calm down. This thread is not your little corner of the universe to rant and rave. BSchindler disagrees with you and has done so in diplomatic way. Please respond to such posts in a like manner from now on.

Nah, I think I will just move on. I feeling a bit of an elitist attitude. I don't need somebody with a yesteryear affection for an obsolete OS trying to tell me it is good. That is like Bill Gates trying tell me windohs is good, safe and reliable. BWAAAAHAHA! I appreciate the fact that most Linux packages were built from voluntary blood, sweat and tears but that doesn't make them ALL good. Last time I looked, Canada and the U.S. were freedom of speech countries. If Linux people are going to be over sensitive, then the 'cream' will never rise to the top where the 'cream' deserves to be.

ReFoRMaT you've gotten by with saying things on this forum that wouldn't be tolerated on other forums. Go over to Linuxquestions or Linuxforums or the Fedora forum and see how far they'll let you go insulting others.

The problem is not with what you say, it's with how you say it. Unfortunately, you expect everone here to read your rants without objection, yet when someone disagrees with you or offers advice in a respectful and diplomatic manner you fly off the handle and start shouting and insulting them in return.

No one here is picking on you. You are simply expected to be courteous toward others just as everyone else is. Have you noticed anyone else here ranting and raving the way you do? I haven't. It's not hard to be civil toward others when responding, it just takes practice.

You make intersting observations about the different distros and Linux in general, and I for one enjoy reading what you have to say when you're not shouting. If you can't respond to other forum members in a more respectful way then maybe it IS best that you move on. I for one would prefer you stay if you can moderate your responses, but that is a decision you alone can make.

If you didn't like Gnome, dont bother with Ubuntu.

Asking if you want to install the X Server with a desktop environment is somewhat wrong. There are a few x servers (although most should be now using Xorg).

I prefer Gentoo as well. It's simply untouchable...although - to get it setup initially takes some work, the experience is worth it in the end.

Gentoo has GREAT documentation and the most active user forum out there IMO.

I have Ubuntu setup as my personal server, and I do like it, but my workstation running Gentoo is much better for what I use it for. With Gentoo you can pick defferent build levels of software, much like how changing your debian feeds goes. I prefer the command line for the package management tool, Portage, but it is simple to use. Porthole and Guitoo are available as a GUI frontend for Portage.

If you DO decide to go with Gentoo, be prepared to have at least two days of down time while you complile Xorg and KDE (openoffice is a long one as well). I printed out the manual as well. Maybe toss out a pdf of the whole manual (installing gentoo) and take it to a Kinko's or something...probablly wont cost more than $5. It's worth it. Unless of course, you have another PC that is attached to the internet that you could reference.

I am not a fan of Red Hat either...just a little to much in there...I'm sure its great once you have spent time with it, but - I used 7.2, 7.3, 9.0 and FC2 - wasnt a fan of any of them.