Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
werice

Can't access a shared folder.

I have a client who has information on their desktop under the desktops shared folder.

This user wants to access this information on their notebook, when they connect to the network on site.

I set up this directory as shared. The problem is, the user can see the share, but when they click on the share a dialog box appears that tells them to see the system administrator, because they may not have access rights to this folder.

I set the share up for everyone to be able to read, write and execute from this file. "All privalages.

This is a windows 2003 server environment.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Check the access rights on the actual directory on the hard drive.

I wouldn't set up the share for "Everyone". Everyone means....EVERYONE. Which means that a simple virus could do a share scan, see your shared folder with "Everyone" permissions and wreak havok...all without having to authenticate with the domain. It's better to use "Domain Users" which means that any "Domain User" can access the share. Even better would to just specify only the people who need to access that share.

What I want to when I posted this question is just, could this be a problem associated with active directory?

It's possible. I've had issues where a user could not authenticate properly with the DC. In those cases I'd verify that was the case by creating a new user and trying to access the folder in question as that user.