Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
-=Mman=-

soundcard in linux 8

hello.

i am a super nub to linux. so go easy on me...

i installed redhat 8 and have many issues with it. but the one issue bugging me the most is the soundcard issue.

if i run the soundcard dtector - it detects my soundcard and is presumably supposed to play a sound for me - but nothing.

I am using the gigabyte 7VAXP mobo with 6 channel sound on board.

Anyone got a suggestion?

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP is a TAD bit to new, for the sound card to be recognized properly. You only have Partial support with the current Kernel.

The Kernel you need to run AT THE MOMENT is in the TESTING version of the Kernel. But you being realatively new to Linux, I'd shy away from that. It's apity. I have the same Motherboard and I have dealing with linux for ~10 years and I am running the testing kernel now on it... it works fine except you have to update probably 35 packages (from source code) to get the things to work.

Now, if you wan't to wait a bit and then update your RedHat to 8.1 (which will/should have support for the chipset of you motherboard) when it becomes available that is fine.

This whole problem revolves around vendors not wanting to develope drivers/modules for linux, they find it an annoyance... some are better than others (nVidia for instance is great about it) whereas some don't even allow you to "reverse" the binaries to deduce how to suppoort it in Linux.

amn shame.

i guess i will stick in an ols regular sound card then.

when do you think the 8.1 will come out?

thanks for the help.