Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

The Distro Chooser

Have y'all tried this yet? I took the test and it said SuSE is the first distro I should consider! That's exactly what I use at home! smile

Nice. I've thought about using gentoo alot but my debian system purrs like a kitten, I don't want to change after all teh hard work I put in. My second pc runs ubuntu. very cool. smile

Quiz result

Distros you should try are (in the correct order)

1. Gentoo Linux

2. Free BSD

3. Open BSD

4. Debian GNU/Linux

5. Ubuntu Linux

egorgry, you should have a look at ProMepis Beta 3! It is outstanding! I rate it with SuSE 9.1, and from me, that's saying something! wink

In fact, I like it so much, I may even use it to replace my Gentoo partitions! smile

Not bad, I wonder if it really just detects what distro you are using and throws it as the first one=p jk. Go go gentoo!

Daum

well I grabbed the promepis beta3 thanks DD. I'll give it a go. I'll try to write up a first impressions from a Debian/Sid users prespective.

This is what I got...

1. SuSE (installed already)

2. Mandrake (have the Powerpack DVD)

3. Gentoo (interested but need wet feet first)

4. Xandros Desktop (heard it was a good GUI but I think one or two distros first would be the way to go)

5. Redhat Fedora Core (have downloaded i386 and x64 versions)

Pretty much what I thought and the Dans have recommended. I recently applied for a job at Redhat in Raleigh (not tech job, training job) so maybe I should at least get Linux heavy if not Fedora heavy too.

I would like my next computer to be an AMD64 unit, possibly a Shuttle XPC mini-unit like the SN95G5. I would like it small, really fast, and full of mathematical and code development tools.

When I took this test, it suggested SuSE, then Debian, then Redhat/Fedora. I never cared for administering Debian, and Fedora seems unpolished (getting mp3 support was not fun; and I know why they had to do this). So it's either Redhat or SuSE. Both have some form of AMD64 support.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether one beats the other? I want a system that I don't have to compile my kernel for, with crypto built in and a modicum of support for non-free stuff like mp3s.

mine:

1. Yoper Linux

2. Open BSD

3. SUSE Linux

4. Redhat/Fedora Linux

5. Free BSD

Mind you...

I'm not keen on Redhat/Fedora or SuSE. (no offense to those who are, of course).

hehe...

but, in the back of my mind, *ALWAYS* lingering...

is this wish to mess with FreeBSD and OpenBSD (just to see what the fuss is about, and see if I can do it w/o wrecking the whole neighboorhood), and...

Yoper????

If I wanted fast, why not just do stage 3 of Gentoo???

Am I missing something?

robstr12, have you checked out FreeSBIE? The live CD runs very well on my system. I'm thinking about installing it to hard drive as the installation looks a lot easier than regular *BSD.

Funny, It showed Gentoo as the first choice for me,it is the only thing I have running right now, and the rest are all distros I've thought about trying.

1. Gentoo Linux

2. Free BSD

3. Open BSD

4. Debian GNU/Linux

5. Yoper Linux

I am amazed at the accuracy, having Arch at #2 would have been the only thing to make this closer to my expectations.

robstr12, if you put that you don't want to spend a lot of time learning, or that you would prefere wizards to the command-line, that would probably cause Gentoo to fall lower on the list. If you have been thinking about FreeBSD, Gentoo is also a good distro to look at, since the basic concepts of Portage(Gentoo's package manager), are based on Ports(FreeBSD's package manager). If you have the time and desire to learn and experement it's a good choice.

Well, it selected MandrakeLinux for me, which is the one I'm using...and seem to have the best success with on my system.

-zenarcher

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
robstr12, have you checked out FreeSBIE? The live CD runs very well on my system. I'm thinking about installing it to hard drive as the installation looks a lot easier than regular *BSD.

Thank you, Dapper Dan,

but, I have my eyes set on the `authentic' FreeBSD, that is until debian Sarge goes stable (I'm on dial-up frown ). When that happens, all bets are off, it will be Sarge all the way. Right now I've got Slackware 10 and Ubuntu.

BTW: I am very impressed with Ubuntu. Its definitely the linux for everybody's Grandma! Very easy to use, installed it on a buddy's computer, he took right to it, never before saw Linux.

I liked Ubuntu too. They say BeatrIX is even faster. One guy over at Linuxforums.org said BeatrIX is the fastest distro he's ever used!

The only thing that put me off with Ubuntu and BeatrIX was the wireless utility kept freezing on me. I never could get my Netgear MA311 working nor the Orinoco Gold PCMCIA in my wife's laptop.

I like their approach though. Clean, simple and limited to a well considered set of apps without the bloat.

Let me know about the FreeBSD install. I might try it if it's a lot less scary than I'm thinking. Of course, for a straight Debian user, ANY other install is a piece of cake... wink

This is what I got:

1. Debian GNU/Linux

2. SUSE Linux

3. Ubuntu Linux

4. Mandrakelinux

5. Gentoo Linux

I'm currently using ProMepis Beta4 and I totally recommend it.

I guess this is as good a place to tell y'all as any. I've become a member of the Church of the Subgenius. My search has stopped with Slackware. It fits me like a glove...

Well, I got:

Quiz result

Distros you should try are (in the correct order):

1. Gentoo Linux

2. Free BSD

3. Slackware Linux

4. Open BSD

5. Yoper Linux

Surprise, surprise, as I currently use #1 and have used #2 and #4 as well. Never got around to slack.

1. Debian GNU/Linux

2. Open BSD

3. Gentoo Linux

4. Xandros Desktop OS

5. Free BSD

im currently using Debian sid as my primary desktop and dabbling in freebsd and gentoo, overall it got my choices covered in the right order