Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wicked101

Knoppix 3.7 Pro

Sorry, between Linux and Windows it doesn't line up nicely, here is a screen print of it.

Thanks for the help so far.

LSMOD

Sorry, between Linux and Windows it doesn't line up nicely, here is a screen print of it.

Thanks for the help so far.

LSMOD

This may not help but is worth trying. Go:

/sbin/modprobe sis900 [enter]

Any errors? If not, see if you can then run wlcardconfig. If you can, and can get configured, then go:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up [enter]

or:

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up [enter]

I dont get any errors when I do this modprobe thing, but it still dont work when I do the wlcardconfig.

If I run ifconfig eth0 I gat the LAN settings and if I use wlan0 it says it cant find the device.

I think I might have this thing sorted out, but I need to know where the "rc.local" file is so that I can finish it and see if it works, if so I'll post everything.

Thanks

Sorry about all the duplicate posts, I help out a little bit on the NTCompatible forum and there they have the next page numbers right under the last post, I could not see the next page so far down. Would it be possible for you to remove all the duplicats please.

Thanks

Thanks Toby, I've tried NDISWRAPPER as well, but it telly me that the driver already exists.

Do you perhaps know where the rc.local file is please, I need to add some commands in it.

The instructions on http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php worked for my D-Link AirPlus DWL-520+ with Fedora Core 2 and Slackware. The pages are very detailed. Craig (the author of the pages) found that SimplyMepis worked "out of the box" with his adaptor, but it didn't work with my card.

Ubuntu http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ recognised my card "out of the box". There is a live-evaluation version of Ubuntu, called Gnoppix, but this didn't recognise my card and I didn't like it as much as Knoppix or the hard disk install of Ubuntu.

HTH.

--

Zymous

Thanks for the help, I managed to create that file and add the stuff according to this procedure but it still did not work. I think I'm doing something wrong, if one of you sat in my chair you would have it working in 2 minutes flat. I really need to learn more about linux before I attempt to do anything on it, AARRRGGHHH

Hi Wicked. I've been tweaking my box so I've been in and out. Could you run:

/sbin/ifconfig

And post its output here? Thanks. Are you sure getting another wireless device is out of the question? There are plenty out there that would work flawlessly without all this hassle. The NetGear WA311 works great for me.

Hi Dapper Dan, welcome back,

I ran that ifconfig and I'll paste the results at the bottom.

How much ever I would love to get this wireless to work I am not able to buy anything at this stage, I have not been able to find a job for the past 8 months now and therefor I do not own any money whatsoever, which drives me crazy, cause I need job/money.

root@fuct:~# /sbin/ifconfig

lo Protokoll:Lokale Schleife

inet Adresse:127.0.0.1 Maske:255.0.0.0

inet6 Adresse: ::1/128 Gültigkeitsbereich:Maschine

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:0

RX bytes:300 (300.0 B) TX bytes:300 (300.0 B)

root@fuct:~#

I also used to another distro..Mandrake, I really loved it, but my last download was corrupted of the last release and I didn't want to bother downloading again, so I tried Knoppix 3.7 since it is only one CD and I love it now.

Forgive me for asking, but I'm not sure if somebody has already posted this since I didn't want to read through the whole thread, but knoppix comes with a GUI which will let you configure your wireless card. It is under the menu Knoppix -> Network/Internet -> Wavelan Configuration. If you don't see this menu, you can probably get it and install it through the Kpackage manager or through klix as well.

One of my friends had a sony vaio laptop, 700mhz, and I installed and customized knoppix 3.7 in it and the last thing I did for him was to congure his wireless card through the Wavelan configuration GUI and pretty much went accepted the default settings and parameters and it was simple as that. Wireless card was working.

Thanks for that LinuxCrusader, I didn't even know about that, I was too busy playing around in the promt, but frown it still dont help, it gives me the same error as when I use WLCARDCONFIG, it says that it could not find any wireless network (in German, so it could be device instead of network, I dont know)

I'm sure other people my have already suggested this, but try a diferent wireless card then. Borrow one from a friend. Knoppix is usually pretty good about this wireless cards, so it doesn't work again...then it could be the network. What kind of network is it again? Your own wireless access point or a public one?

Or you can also try in a place where you know wireless service is offer, like in a public university, and if it works it will detect it but it may not let you get on theur network since sometimes they restrict connections according to the wireless card mac address. But at least you'll know that the card is working. I'm not sure how the do it, but it should be easy to get on someone else's wireless network.

Good luck...don't give up.

Its my own private AP, and it's a Wireless USB dongle (SIS162U) that I use on my PC. A new wireless card is not possible at this stage in time.

Hi Wicked101,

Did you solve the problem with Wireless USB dongle (SIS162U) in any way? I've got a notebook ASUS A4B00D that has the same chip build-in.

Looking forwards your reply,

vkangin