Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wicked101

Knoppix 3.7 Pro

Hi,

I've given up now with Suse 9.1, now I've got the Knoppix 3.7 Pro live CD, I unpacked everything on the HDD but I cant find anything about Wireless LAN on Knoppix, is it possible? if so, please explain nice and slow, as I am pretty slow when it comes to Linux.

Thanks

I seem to remember Knoppix has a pretty good utility called...

wlcardconfig

...that works very well for wireless. You just fill in the parameters and press enter for the next question. Try that.

Thanks for the reply, if I may ask please, how do I use "wlcardconfig"? or how do I do/start/run it?

Thanks

Sorry. First, open up a terminal. It doesn't matter which one. I personally like konsole 'cause you can cut and paste with it. Now you must become "Super User." There are certain configurations and installations that require this. type:

su

And press enter.

It will ask for your root password. type it in and press enter. You are now Super User. Now type:

wlcardconfig

And press enter. The program should then come up.

What type of Wireless card do you have? Let's make sure it's compatible. What wireless router are you using?

If I log on as "root" do I still have to do the super user thing?

I'm using a D-Link +624 Router that is connected to the DSL modem. The point I'm using on my PC is a FiberLine wireless USB Dongle

Originally posted by Wicked101:

Quote:
If I log on as "root" do I still have to do the super user thing?

No. You'll essentially be doing the same thing. It's just easier to open a terminal and become root rather that logging out then back in as root everytime you need administrative permissions.

Quote:
I'm using a D-Link +624 Router that is connected to the DSL modem.

Is this an 802.11b or 802.11g?

Quote:
The point I'm using on my PC is a FiberLine wireless USB Dongle

I'm not familiar with this piece of hardware, but any time I see "USB" and "wireless" in the same sentence I have misgivings as it applies to Linux. frown

Can you give us a link to the specs on this Dongle? Is it 802.11b or g?

Did you have your wireless hardware running under SuSE?

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to add that, its a 802.11b.

Nope, I could not get it to run on Suse, I tried everything the nice people here said but right at the end it would not open the program it was supposed to to configure it. I have a topic here somewhere concerning this.

This is what my dongle is called:

IEEE 802.11b WLAN Mini USB Adapter

and it has this number on it:

FCC ID:PANWL1207

and it says:

Made in China:)

Here's 2 PDF files about it:

http://www.wificentrum.sk/buxus/docs/download/WL-161%20Q.S.G%20multi-language.pdf

http://www.ccandc.com.tw/Manual/WL-1207_Manual.pdf

Thanks

Wicked

Here is a photo of my FiberLine WLAN Mini USB Dongle

I tried using "NDISWRAPPER" to use my windows driver and it all went well till the final step then it said its already installed. Then I tried "WLCARDCONFIG" and it says "No Wireless Network Found"

What do I do now? please

I'm still slow at Linux, the stuff I did is what I read on the internet:) (I know I almost sounded a little bit clever there with all those fancy commands and stuff:))

Thanks

Wicked101

Huh! I could have sworn I posted after your previous post! Well... I guess I wrote it up and previewed it without posting. I've done that a few times before, sorry.

Anyway, do you find it listed when you do:

/sbin/lsusb

from a terminal as root?

what does the ouput say? Sometimes it will give the actual chipset rather than just the manufacturer. That would help to know what chipset.

Not too worry:) no problem at all, at least you replied (like they say, rather late than never:))

Thanks for the reply and all the help so far, and I'm sorry for possibly getting on anyones nerves, but once I get my Knoppix working on the WLAN I'll start learning more and more about it and soon I'll be able to help out on this site too.

OK, back to the point, I tried /sbin/lsusb but it did not work, so I tried it with just the /lsusb and that worked, I think, this is what it gave me/us

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0457:0162 Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Hmmm, translation?.....

I was experimenting a bit:) hee hee, I played with the wlcfg-default file, changed some things inside for the settings of my D-Link with the WEP and all, I aslo read in one of those files in the /etc/wlan folder that I need to create a file called wlan-<SSID>, which I did, I just made a copy of the default one and renamed it to that with my SSID and edited the file with all settings and removing the "#'s" to the things I need, but it still dont work:( like I said, I'm still very new to linux, still learning. My head is flat now, I got no more ideas about how to get this to work.

I'm mostly just coming up empty every way I go trying to figure out what can be done to get your adapter to work.

It seems from the pdf files you link to that your dongle uses what is known as a baseband/mac wlan chipset. It is unclear to me whether there is actually Linux drivers for this chipset or they are still under development.

I also found this and this. Anything there look familiar?

Like I said, Linux+USB+Wireless=headaches! Anyone else have any ideas? If we can't get any movement on this soon would you consider spending a little cash for an adapter that is known to work? We can give plenty of fairly inexpensive suggestions.

Check out this site.

Thanks for the help so far, I really hope we will be able to get this working, cause I honestly dont have the money to buy anything (not even fast food) as I'm still unemployed and have been for the past 8 months, but if I had the money I would've bought one that works cause I really want this to work.

Thanks for the links, I'm busy looking at them now, mine looks like that FL-WL240U

I just opened my WLAN USB Dongle/Stick and found the following.

On one side it has a chip that says:

SIS162U

On the other side it has a chip that says:

AIROHA

AL2210B

Does this mean anything to you, might it help, I hope this helps

OK, and now I have this Driver and Patch from one of these 2 sites you gave me, what I would like to know is how do I install them now, please? They dont tell me on the site how to do it.

Thanks

Wicked

Hey, that means that my Linux pick it up, cause it says the ID is "0x0457:0x0162", and that is what it picked up when I ran that "lsusb" you said I should, nice, now that it looks like its found it, how can I get it to work? please

Wicked, I think we're snagged. frown You said that SIS162U was printed on that chip. Look here and see that the '162' is one of two versions that there isn't a Linux driver for.

Stll, I would try the Integrated driver for it to see. It might be worth a try...

If you want to try it and get stuck trying to install it, let us know. Sorry I couldn't help more...

But Linux says that the driver is already installed, like when I ran that "lsusb", it said

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0457:0162 Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.

Is there any way I can test it?

AAAaaarrrgggghhhhhh, I'm so close to giving up, but I cant, I have to do this, I want to do this.

Everything I try do dont work, I'm just very stupid still at this stage and its busy frustrating me so much.

All those websites with there drivers and readme's and FAQ's, they dont explain properly.

Like, it says

Prerequisites:

To build linux-wlan-ng you will need:

-Configured kernel source code blah blah blah

How the hell do I configure and/or install the kernel?

where is the linux source directory?

How do I check and/or enable kernel usb support?

How do I get this to work??? AAaarrrggghhhh, GGGRRRRRrrrr

Going nuts, been sitting infront of this PC for 10 hours straight, its 03h14 in the morning now and I'm going to bed now, maybe I can manage something else in the morning.

Good night ppl, sleep well

When this level of frustration sets in, (and believe me I've been there!) I think the best thing to do is send an email to their support and ask them what to do. Tell them it says right their on their site that it is supposed to run under Linux, and you need their help.

I've sent them emails and to linuxquestions and I've posted on their forums but not one person has come back to me. I think my biggest problem is that I dont know what the hell I'm doing:) I'm still pretty new to linux, I'm not used to having so much trouble, I've never had a problem that I could not solve.

I admire your resolve.

The problem is since 98% of computer hardware users use Windows, the hardware manufacturers spend almost all their resources on them, and we are lucky if they even notice us. Some hardware makers refuse to acknowlesde us altogether. Luckily though that is beginning to change. The more we request support from them, the more they will take notice.

When you ran lsusb and it listed your hardware, that doesn't mean that Linux already has a driver for it. It just means Linux sees it, and is letting you know that it knows it is there. Linux also recognizes hardware that will not work.

Having said that, if we could find out the specific module for you dongle, we could then check to see if it is present on your system. Then it should be just a matter of doing modprobe. Do this...

lsmod

And post the output here. Maybe we will see something we recognize...

I'm trying my best and I really want to get to know linux, and if these people dont want to support linux drivers then tell me what I need to know or learn to be able to create/write drivers and I will do so, if no one wants to do it why cant I, I know I can do anything, I just need a little push in the right direction.

PS: Where do I find the "rc.local" file, please?

Oh yes, here is the result from "lsmod"

root@fuct:~# lsmod

Module Size Used by

snd_mixer_oss 18688 0

snd 47588 1 snd_mixer_oss

iptable_nat 24484 0

ip_conntrack 33028 1 iptable_nat

ip6table_filter 6144 1

ip6_tables 20736 1 ip6table_filter

md5 7680 1

ipv6 241248 6

iptable_filter 6272 1