Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack #1 Release Candidate: Anyone install this yet?

Hey Alec, I run this OS on one of my servers. I was waiting to hear feedback on it before I did the update. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes!

- Lotus

Will mess around with it once I get done with my 2000 game testing.....hopefull the full SP will be done by then!

I have installed SP1 RC in two pcs and as for now i haven't detected any major glitches (although didn't had much time for testing).

One is an HP ML350 G4 server acting as PDC with 24 clients running XP and w2k.The other is my own PC at home

ML 350 Specs:

- 2x Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz EMT64 - 1M L2

- Intel E7520 Chipset

- 2GB Ram (PC2700 ECC Reg)

- HP Smart Array 641 - 64mb cache

- 5x 72.4Gb U320 10.000rpm SCSI (1+0 raid array w/1 spare)

- 2x 1G Nics (the onboard one + NC7771 Pci-X)

- 1x HP Ultrium 215 backup drive

- Redudant Power and fans

... and the rest of usual stuff.

It as Veritas 9.1 for Windows Servers for the backups and everyone works with sales and account software based on Access type databases. Most of the databases have almost 1Gb so in about a month they will be migrated to SQL.

Hardware works flawlessly with the 2 nics in a team providing 2G bandwith.

There are some minor problems like the MMC console reporting errors after being closed and more strangely sometimes after a reboot it reports an error right after logon without even opening it.

There are some new domain policies for XP SP2 - nothing much.

In DHCP console i can't manage to make stick to the "Update Statistics" and "Show BOOTP" options - they only remain until its closed, next opening they are not selected anymore.

I did had one major problem with a roaming profile which started by simply disapearing after 2 days (not all, most of the documents and some folders on the Desktop and in My Docs folder).

After putting them back from a backup weird things kept happenig, like erased documents reapering after a reboot and altered docs returning to any previous random state.

It looked like a sync problem so erased the entire profile from the server and from the pcs who ever used it and started it from scratch - no complaints after 5 days now.

I noticed 2 more things i hadn't the time to look into :the reverse DNS zone isn't up[censored] and forwarding queries to the router makes the clients to take ages to connect to internet. Disabling forwarding and making it secondary DNS server in DHCP scope options resolves the problem,

Sharepoint Services works well. HP Insight software doesn't - it needs some kind of update so i just took it off.

As my home pc i can only say that at least all the hardware works fine with win2003 SP1 RC and thats alot because my pc looks like a biohazard experiment from Doom3 smile

Specs:

- AMD Athlon XP 2600+

- Abit KT7A w/raid - doesn't supports the processor but its working with a modded bios despite the fact that detects it as unknown processor type but with the correct speed.

- 768Mb Ram

- 3 IDE disks (2x80Gb 1x20Gb) connected to Highpoint controller

- 3 SCSI disks (36,18,9GB) connected to an Adaptec 39160.

- 1 Plextor PX-708A DVDRW, 1 PX-116A DVD & 1 Asus E612 connected to the VIA onboard IDE

- 1 Plextor Ultraplex 40x SCSI CDROM & 1 HP9200i connected to the secondary channel of the Adaptec 39160

- 2 Intel 100mb nics (Pro/100 S & Pro/100+ Manag)

- 1 Creative Audigy ZS

- 1 Pinnacle PCTV Pro tv card

Everything works fine w/2003 SP1 RC.Haven't had the time to do more testing.

My conclusion : nothing realy new, and some holes to fix.

I'll keep you posted of any new discoveries.

Odd...You just removed the "Everyone" group correct? You didn't "Deny" it access by checking the checkboxes?

Unfortunately I cannot check this out on 2003 since I am visiting my parent's.

EDIT - Okay, just read your link above. GD, WTF do they do that crazy stuff? Only possible explanation is to mess you up on your MCSE.

One more tidbit of contradicting information to add to the pile when dealing with multiple operating systems. *Sigh*

We are gonna need a neural-net search engine that we can communite wirelessly through the chips in our brains to keep up with this mess.

I have installed Windos service pack 1 for 2003, It has never installed thrice I have tried to install on different machines but always it has given me errors. Twice I tried to install on pentium Class machines, and once I tried to install on the Virtual Server 2005. But always it gave me the same error.

"the application could not be initialized", this happens when it was remving the service pack (running processes before install).

It also had an error error in c:\windows\system32\schedsvc.dll missing entry: SPUninstall

Please repyl your feed backs.

cheers

damler

I installed this on a laptop, adds to WLAN functionality, and also allowed me to use the built in BlueTooth module smile