Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mecarboy

Ghost 9.0 - Promise Fast Track - Windows2000 Headaches

Hello,

Here is a problem that has been driving me nuts for a day or so....

First, the simple stuff.... Windows 2k with SP4. Norton AV up to date, recent full scan clean, no spyware present. OS and application suite located on a Promise Technologies "Fast Track 100" RAID card configured for RAID 1 (Mirrored) (once booted, the OS sees just one drive, not two). The RAID array is currently the boot array (eg, the c: drive) on the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo. System starts and runs just fine.

And herein the problem begins.....

I have installed an additional 250GB SATA drive in the system and wish to copy the OS and application suites images . The Windows disk manager sees the new HDD and allows me to establish a NTFS partition on the new HDD (call it the Z: drive for easy discussion since the software will not permit to name it as a new C: drive as I desire)). Once the drive is formatted, I can copy files on and off the new Z drive without any problems.

What I want to do is to move the entire OS and application suite off the RAID array and have the new Z: drive be the boot disk. (Basically, make the new drive function as the current c: drive)

The PROBLEM begins when I use Norton Ghost 9.0 or Partition magic to copy the boot array OS and application suite onto the new Z: drive. The process appears to go smoothly.. I make sure to do a full copy and to make the target disk (the Z: drive) bootable and I make sure the MBR is copied too. Once the Ghost drive copy is complete, I reboot. As I reboot, the POST process takes place and then the FASTTRACK driver(s?) load and show, via a text lines, that the array is "functional" and that it is still a bootable array (All this before the BIOS interupt opportunity appears). Once the ASUS splash screen appears, I dive into BIOS setup and check the boot assignment and make sure the new HDD (the Z: drive) is the ONLY boot device (all others - CD, DVD, the RAID array etc.. are all disabled). I save all my settings and go through the reboot process. The system starts up fine and appears to have booted from the new Z: drive.

THE PROBLEM

If I shutdown and then remove the FAST TRAK RAID card and the array drives, I am screwed.. Even thought the Z: drive remains the sole boot device in the BIOS setup, the system goes into a looping error once the Windows load commences.

The white Windows splash screen appears, then the usual blue Windows logo screen as user settings are configured. While Windows 2000 is "configuring user settings", the system hangs for maybe 15 seconds as it is "Executing Z:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\cryptnet.dll. After this very long pause the machine will start a looping shutdown/startup process (all with the Windows screens appearing). I can never get to a desktop, nor do I have a blue screen of death. I try to restart in Safe Mode and the same thing happens, just at a slower pace. If I then shutdown and reinstall the RAID array and keep the boot device as the new Z: drive, the system starts up.

What the devil is the cryptnet.dll file, what does it do and how do I make it behave so I can migrate a live OS and application suite onto the Z:drive?

At an even more basic level, how can I get get Ghost 9.0 top perform as advertised so I can make a functional bootable duplicate HDD. I have already burned time on the phone with Symantec and not received any answers that even border on helpful... (tech support fellow was stumped that one could not designate the new "copied drive" as the c: drive when naming it!)

I really do want to move off the Fast Trak 100 RAID card as it is so hampering performance. Any ideas on how to transfer a good bootable copy off the RAID array to a new HDD????

Thanks,

Michael ;(