Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
drewmc

CD-ROM only reading CD on initial boot

I'm not sure what to do on this one, so I'm looking for a little advice or help.

I have a CD-Rom drive that is only reading a CD when I initially boot the PC. If I swap the CD after I'm in windows, it won't read it or any future CDs and it won't even acknowledge a CD is in the drive. When this occurs, I can't even access the drive from a dos prompt. Windows XP tells me there is no problem with the device. I have uninstalled the drive, drivers, etc. using the windows device manager with reboots to no avail.

Now, if I go through Nero, it senses the CD, will let me copy the CD, however, I can't access the files, file structure, or see anything on the CD.

I'm thinking something is corrupted somewhere, but at this point I don't know where to look and this one has me stumped.

Any Suggestions???

First, check the data/ribbon cable. Reconnect it at both ends. Try again and see if the problem still exists. If so then try a new data/ribbon cable. These are really cheap so you should have a couple on hand for this kind of thing smile

You can use either the standard UDMA33 cable or the newer UDMA66 and above cable, both should work.

The other thing to check is to make sure that the jumper on the optical drive is set for MASter and is connected to the secondary controller port connector.

If this fails then you need to look at getting another optical drive, these too have become pretty darn cheap, good luck...

This is actually a brand new drive. I was having this issue with my old 4yr old CD drive and I thought it was failing. I finally got around to buying a new CD-ROM drive and I replaced it yesterday. I have the jumper set to master and I have tried it with the old cable and the new one that came with the drive.

I've read different things on Roxio and Nero messing up CD Rom drivers and I thought it might have something to do with the drivers.

Same problem, I don't know what is wrong. Windows will only read the CD or DVD if it is in the drive when it boots. However, Nero and anyother program will read the drive. The error msg is "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows." I also have this problem with all removable disks such as my digital camera cards. Any ideas on what I can do?

I recently installed a Lexar 1GB flash drive secure, any of you install a device before your event. I used NTregmon and see that when I acccess the flash drive software, many calls to keys with CDFS occur. How could we reset the CDFS settings in Windows XP?