Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndreRoux

Installing Firefox

Hi,

Im new to Linux... I dowloaded the Firefox Installer from Mozilla (firefox-1.0intaller.tar.gz).

Can someone please tell me how to select the proper destination folder (the Internet tfolder with all of the other Web applications) to install the application?

I have tried once... the installation works, the Firefox application opens... but as soon as I close it, I can't find it anomore frown

Please help me...

Oh... and if anyone can explain to me why I can't hear sound files on my Dell Latutde P4 (works fine when I'm on Windows XP), I would really appreciate it.

André

You can install mozilla anywhere you like usually it's in /usr/bin it sounds like you may have installed it to somewhere in your home directory. If so you can execute it by creating a shortcut to it using the full path to firefox.

/home/andreroux/firefox/

what distro are you using and version? What desktop KDE, GNOME? You may have better luck installing the pre compiled binary for your distro. if it's fedora or mandrake just get the RPM for firefox if it's a debian based distro just type apt-get install mozilla-firefox.

Need more information about your hardware and linux distro to help on teh sound problem.

Howdy egorgry

If you want all your internet aps (browser, mail, ftp-progs) under one parent-folder I'd recommend you install firefox like this ..

1: Create destination folder ...

by opening a console and entering this command ...

Code:
user@box: mkdir -p /usr/local/internet/firefox

the "-p"-switch will create all necessary directories too, in case those ain't present. In our case not only the folder "firefox" would be created but also the folder "internet" in case there isn't such a folder already.

2: Install firefox ...

by following the steps of the GUI-installer and specifying /usr/local/internet/firefox as target-directory.

3: Create symbolic links to the firefox-aplication...

Once more we're gonna do this in the console: Enter the command ...

Code:
user@box: ln -s /usr/local/internet/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

to create a symbolic link to firefox in /usr/bin. This folder should always be in the path, so this oughta make finding the firefox-executable much easier. A simple "firefox" in a console will then launch the browser.

Alternatively you can also create a desktop-shortcut to /usr/bin/firefox to have the browser available via mouse click, or enter the realm of menu-editing and place a shortcut therein.

hope that helps

Thank you for your prompt reply. :-)

Did what you recommanded (shorcut) and it worked... thanks...

Next time I hope for a clean install... but to do this I must have access to root and I dont know how to do that.

As for my audio problem, my computer is a Dell Latitude P4 2 GHz with a Crystal 4205 audio controler.

I run Mandrake 10.1 with KDE

My next challenge is to get Mandrake to recognise my Airport WiFi base.

Hope I can this done with your help. :-)

André

Originally posted by egorgry:

Quote:
...if it's a debian based distro just type apt-get install mozilla-firefox.

Well that helped me. I'm using Libranet 2.8.1

Thanks!

Paul

AndreRoux,

To get root access, open a terminal and type

Quote:
su

It sould then ask you for your root password.