Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LFFPicard

Star Trek Armada visual glitches..

Hi, I not been to these boards before but i have a problem with Armada under windows XP...

The problem i have is graphics related..

Armada detects my graphics card and shows it in the options, i have max resolution (Tried other resolutions) and max graphics detail (Tried others), I also have 1.2patch installed and latest graphics drivers..

Everything looks fine untill it loads a mission or instant battle and then the graphics are all over the screen the cursor trails and the grids merge.. it is totally unplayable and i really want to play it frown

I have used Compatability wizard, disabled visual themes and win under win98.

Any help would be great, i am running Geforce FX 5200 128mb, under XP Pro.

Thanks for any help..

I would just liek to bump this as i really really want to play the game and its rather annoying it will not work..

Armada 2 works fine but i played it and hate it... not enough stratagy required..

If anyone has any advice, or can explain how to install a virtual OS on my HDD so i can install a virtual win98 to play it on then please help me.

Well i just done a full format and installed XP Home..

Installed Armada

Set Compatability to win98/ME and disabled visual themes..

Armada is patched to 1.2 and it still come sup with these gliches..

It worked fine when i had Win98, so if anyone has any ideas i would be very gratefull smirk

Rite well lets star with wat i got i got a soltek sl-k8an2 MainBoard a 3100 sempron socket 754 and over clocking it upto a 2.02Ghz 512 mb ram running 400mhz windows xp with service pack 2 i have patch for armada 1.2 and im running a Nvidia 5500 fx 129mn AGP graphics i have tryed everything to get the visual glitches out of armada i thought it might be my windows so i re-installed it i changed my bios settings ive tryed putting it into win 98/me compatability ive upgrade every bit of software i have on my computer but it still doesnt solve the problem. On the other hand my sisters computer which i built for her has a msi mother board socket A with a sempron 2.0Ghz But is running at 1.56 she has a Nvidia 5200 fx graphics card she has windows xp service pack 2 all patches for armada 1.2 and yet she has no vishal glitches wat so ever so i though this my be my hardware "Graphics card" so i swaped it for my sister but alas nothing still the same problem. So i have come to the conclusion that the high spec hardware u have the less like the game will run proply i have also read other posts on other site that also suggest the same thing im sry this is no help to u but i thought it would stop u from doing wat i have done and stayed up for 24 hours trying to figure it all out

Originally posted by LFFPicard:

Quote:
I would just liek to bump this as i really really want to play the game and its rather annoying it will not work..

Armada 2 works fine but i played it and hate it... not enough stratagy required..

If anyone has any advice, or can explain how to install a virtual OS on my HDD so i can install a virtual win98 to play it on then please help me.

First of all, I have tried using Virtual PC with win98 on my XP machine, and it solved none of the problems because the emulated video card is an S3 Trio32/64, and my actual card is an NVIDIA FX5200 (great card for most games), and gave the same glitches as running on XP.

My laptop, on the other hand (Celeron 766 with Cyberblade 3D video onboard) runs the game perfectly with version 1.2 (my cd came as version 1.2--no patch needed)

If you can dual-boot (must own both windows 98 and XP) you may have better luck running the game with 98 depending on your video card.

Originally posted by ultra_conductor:

Quote:
Rite well lets star with wat i got i got a soltek sl-k8an2 MainBoard a 3100 sempron socket 754 and over clocking it upto a 2.02Ghz 512 mb ram running 400mhz windows xp with service pack 2 i have patch for armada 1.2 and im running a Nvidia 5500 fx 129mn AGP graphics i have tryed everything to get the visual glitches out of armada i thought it might be my windows so i re-installed it i changed my bios settings ive tryed putting it into win 98/me compatability ive upgrade every bit of software i have on my computer but it still doesnt solve the problem. On the other hand my sisters computer which i built for her has a msi mother board socket A with a sempron 2.0Ghz But is running at 1.56 she has a Nvidia 5200 fx graphics card she has windows xp service pack 2 all patches for armada 1.2 and yet she has no vishal glitches wat so ever so i though this my be my hardware "Graphics card" so i swaped it for my sister but alas nothing still the same problem. So i have come to the conclusion that the high spec hardware u have the less like the game will run proply i have also read other posts on other site that also suggest the same thing im sry this is no help to u but i thought it would stop u from doing wat i have done and stayed up for 24 hours trying to figure it all out

What version of drivers was your sister running?

Ok ive got to this work with:

Windows Vista SP1 64Bit

Boot Options (msconfig)

Set Ram to 1024mb, and set No of CPUs to 1

then drag a shortcut and set Compatibility to NT 4.0 (sp5)

and tick on the rest.

The game worked for me (latest 64 GeForce drivers - 8800GTX)

and full graphics at 1600x1200.

(also turn on PCI LOCK)

Dave

COMMENTS:

====================

- Yes, this is STILL a problem in 2011.

- This is my first computer system with an NVidia card

- This system came installed with Autumn 2010 drivers and with those I was not able to play Armada.

MY SPECS (For reference):

====================

Windows7 64-bit

Intel i7 Q740 1.73GHz

4GB RAM

DirectX11

NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M (Notebook)

WHAT THIS WILL DO:

====================

- you will be able to play the game without issue; even cinematic cut scenes will work!

In my case, I am able to play in any resolution up to 1600x1200 and its gorgeous. There will be a problem with some cutscenes, but I'll list later in this post how to get around the problem.

MY WINDOWS SHORTCUT COMPATIBILITY SETTINGS:

====================

WindowsXP SP3

Run as administrator

- settings applied on armada.exe

WARNINGS:

====================

This process involves up[censored] NVIDIA drivers and could have negative effects on your system. Consider this before upgrading and ensure you perform backups and other precautions before following this procedure.

INSTRUCTIONS:

====================

1. Download latest NVidia patch from NVidia. In my case this was Version 275.33.

2. When installing the patch, I was required to use "Custom" mode, and needed to perform a 'clean install' which wipes current settings. I tried installing without this option and I lost the ability to use my external monitor, so it is necessary.

3. Follow instructions, including reboot requests...

4. Play the game!

QUALITY TESTING:

====================

I've only tested into the second mission, but so far it's fairly stable. Occasionally you might get a strange artifact in gameplay but just move a ship slightly and it goes away. Also, the flashes in the loading screen will still be there. Also, going into the second mission, I get a black screen.

OVERCOMING THE BLACK SCREEN:

====================

1. Press 'space' on your keyboard and wait a moment for gameplay to begin. If you want, begin playing. If you want to see the cut scene,

2. Click on Menu --> Abort the Mission --> Yes

3. Load the second mission from the menu, the cut scene will work.

COMMENTS:

====================

- Yes, this is STILL a problem in 2011.

- This is my first computer system with an NVidia card

- This system came installed with Autumn 2010 drivers and with those I was not able to play Armada.

MY SPECS (For reference):

====================

Windows7 64-bit

Intel i7 Q740 1.73GHz

4GB RAM

DirectX11

NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M (Notebook)

WHAT THIS WILL DO:

====================

- you will be able to play the game without issue; even cinematic cut scenes will work!

In my case, I am able to play in any resolution up to 1600x1200 and its gorgeous. There will be a problem with some cutscenes, but I'll list later in this post how to get around the problem.

MY WINDOWS SHORTCUT COMPATIBILITY SETTINGS:

====================

WindowsXP SP3

Run as administrator

- settings applied on armada.exe

WARNINGS:

====================

This process involves up[censored] NVIDIA drivers and could have negative effects on your system. Consider this before upgrading and ensure you perform backups and other precautions before following this procedure.

INSTRUCTIONS:

====================

1. Download latest NVidia patch from NVidia. In my case this was Version 275.33.

2. When installing the patch, I was required to use "Custom" mode, and needed to perform a 'clean install' which wipes current settings. I tried installing without this option and I lost the ability to use my external monitor, so it is necessary.

3. Follow instructions, including reboot requests...

4. Play the game!

QUALITY TESTING:

====================

I've only tested into the second mission, but so far it's fairly stable. Occasionally you might get a strange artifact in gameplay but just move a ship slightly and it goes away. Also, the flashes in the loading screen will still be there. Also, going into the second mission, I get a black screen.

OVERCOMING THE BLACK SCREEN:

====================

R4 SDHC1. Press 'space' on your keyboard and wait a moment for gameplay to begin. If you want, begin playing. If you want to see the cut scene,

2. Click on Menu --> Abort the Mission --> Yes

3. Load the second mission from the menu, the cut scene will work.

These references are very useful, I collected it.