Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
swvines

Linux Mandrake 10.1 is...

Hello,

I am having trouble installing Linux Mandrake 10.1. The autorun file gives an error saying that the autorun file is not a valid win 32 App. Is there a way i can fix this. I bought the CD from Ebay instead of downloading it. Was it His fault or do I need a different File?

Thanks,

Stephen

just boot from the cd. Change your bios boot order to boot teh cdrom first then have at it.

Thank you egorgry for the reply. Could you tell me how to change my Bois settings. And if i boot from the CD then will i be able to install Mandrake 10.1. I want to partition the hard drive so i can still use my CD drive.

Thanks,

Stephen

Bios access depends on your motherboard. it's usualy displayed for a second or two when you boot up. It will say something like press f2 for setup. it's usually a function key, delete or esc.

once you get into the bios it's pretty self explainatory just find the section that says boot order to change it to cdrom. newer boards may have an boot from option instead of entering the bios it will allow you to change teh boot order just for that session.

After you have accomplished booting the CD the mandrake installer will guide you through the whole instalation. You will be able to partition the HD anyway you like (mandrake has one of teh best partion setup tools in an install) you will still have access to your cdrom in mandrake.

;( HELP! ;(

I was able to boot from the CD. Then i went and press enter to install Linux Mandrake 10.1. It starts to install. It detects USB and the get about 40% on the status bar when it says "Loading program into memory...". I went and looked at the logs. I saw some errors. like "File-not-found-in-archive-kebdeuko" and a missing file in sysroot\tmp\install\stage2\mdrinst_stage2.bz2" Does this mean that i am missing a file on my CD. If so where can i download.

Thanks,

Stephen

One of three possabilities, I believe;

1. What motherboard is this? You may need to set a parameter when doing the install. I believe that one install option in to install with acpi disabled. You may need this depending on your system.

2. More likely a bad burn. Is this a commercial Mandrake (official) cd set, or "home burned" by the e-bay seller. If generic, my advice - never buy such disks from a seller unless it is an official version/copy.

3. The burn is not compatible with your cdrom drive. How old is the cdrom drive or system?

You can download Mandrake from a mirror on their website, located here.

Thanks,

I have a Dell Deminsion 3000

XP PRO SP2

3 GHZ

512 MB SDDRAM

80 GB Hard Drive

Intel Pentium 4 HT

I have had it for about an month. It is not very old. The CDs i bought where "Home Burned". The burn is compatible with my computer cause i can read the disc. Although the Disc has a defected place on the edge of the disc. I have contacted the seller and have not gotten a responce yet. I do not have High-Speed internet so I can not download the CDs myself. Do you know where I could get some CDs cheap.

Thanks,

Stephen

I'm not sure, sorry. I'm not too familiar with Mandrake. I use Debian and always just do a network install off of the internet. Sounds to me liek you are gonna need to download the isos or order the official cd pack form Mandrake Do you have a fast internet conection to do the download? If not you can order them from http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart or if you are straped for cash. I can do teh download and send you the discs if you PM me your address. I ask only one favor in return give linux a fair chance and remember the immortal words of Dapper Dan

LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS. smile

let me know.

I have No plans to quite Linux. I have used Linux ALL my computer Life. And I have finally got tried of Bill Gates Ripping Off people. I will continue to try to install linux. And No i do not have a Fast connection.

Thanks,

Stephen

Personally, I think this is the best deal you will ever find on Linux disks. They have just about all the distros and their disks are very professional in appearance, all are tested before shipping...and about the best price and service I've found, anywhare...

http://www.linuxonline.biz/

I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting complete Linux distros. I am using the 6 CD set of Mandrake Linux PowerPack 10.1 which I purchased from them...for $9.95.

-zenarcher

I 2 have the same issue with the file not found "sysroot/tmp/image/stage2mdkinst_stage2.bz2"

but after searching cd1 I have found the file but still no go I am trying to get of winxp pro to linux but no luck so far.

Either a bad download, or bad burn.

Did you burn the images at a slow speed, say 4X or 8X?

They need to be burned at a slow rate.

Also, did you verify the disks during the install?