Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
elwill0207

ATI RADEON 9800XT POWERCOLOR FREEZES

My video freezes & sometimes restarts. Sometimes VPU recovers. If not, i just get a black screen, but can still hear audio. I have PowerColor 9800XT CPTECH & am extremely p**sed. I can understand if it was just one person, but the fact of the matter is that there is a substantial amount of steammed ATI customers. We paid BiG Bucks for a highly anticipated video card & get DOOPED. Additionally there has been no response from ATI on the hot issue. I play Americas Army

Here is what i tried so far---

1. I have already disabled DEP

2. reinstalled cat 4.10, 4.9, 4.8, 3.10 & tried omega drivers @ http://www.omegadrivers.net/

3. removed some fans from power supply 2 attempt to lower power usage.

4. seached for newest mb bios & installed

Here is my specs:

XP PRO SP2

MB: ASUS P4S800 (Newest BIOS .1009)

HD's: 74gb raptor ata 10k rpm, 250gb western, 180gb western.

POWER: Hipro 420-watt

INTEL 2.8GHZ

RAM- 1024 PC3200

CD-CDR-W 52X

Here is my voltage values & Temps. I also did a memtest w/ ZERO errors.

*ALSO IS THERE ANY WAY 2 DOWNGRADE TO SP2?

Please HELP@@!@!!@!!

Temperatures:

Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)

CPU 40 °C (104 °F)

GPU 51 °C (124 °F)

GPU Ambient 52 °C (126 °F)

WDC WD2500JB-53EVA0 46 °C (115 °F)

WDC WD740GD-00FLA1 46 °C (115 °F)

Cooling Fans:

CPU 4561 RPM

Voltage Values:

CPU Core 1.42 V

CPU Aux 0.08 V

+3.3 V 3.28 V

+5 V 4.95 V

+12 V 11.19 V

+5 V Standby 5.02 V

Debug Info V 59 05 CD B8 B8 DC F7 23 (01)

Debug Info T 35 40 255

So a couple of things to check out here:

1) Since you have a P4S series board, this means it has the SiS chipset. Have you d/l the latest AGP device driver from THEIR website yet ?!? It's currently at v1.17e.

2) Also you didn't mention using either Catalyst v4.11 or v4.12 yet. Have you tried these out ?!?

Also, you may want to check the AGP settings in the System BIOS for things like AGP 4x or 8x. Try both settings to see if there is any difference or not. Also check out the AGP Fast Writes, sometimes enabling this feature will cause problems, but for the most part it does not.

And one final note, let's not go half-cocked over bashing ATi or even nVidia for that matter. I've used both types of GPU's for years now and have not found any one type to have any more or less problems then the other. That's a very fine graphics card IMO smile

1. I already updates chipset bios from sis.

2. I am running 4.12 Cat

I checked AGP. I have it set to 8X. Also have Video Aperature to 128mb. I have Fast write disabled on MB & Card.

Anything i missed? SOrry im just heated on the ATI issue. So are hundreds of others. Just go on www.google.com and search ATI RADEON 9800XT Freezes. You tell me what you think.

Thanks alot... waiting reply.

Well I can't say that this isn't something that has not happened before in that there may indeed be an issue with this GPU but more likely it's some combination of things, i.e., motherboard + chipset + os + drivers.

That being said APK owns one of these cards if I remember correctly and he would have a much better idea on this issue then I would.

I've built many boxes using the 9200/9600 this past year or so and have not come across many problems that an updated driver didn't take care of.

I personally am using the X800 Pro on my gaming rig but I have not run America's Army. I mainly play D2: LOD and DS: LOA smile

I'm currently attempting to troubleshoot some issues with DS: LOA and sound. This may indeed be a related issue to what you're experiencing so if I come across any solution for my problem I'll be sure to post the resolution here on this forum laugh

Well i appre. the help. Keep the input comming. If anyone can help out i am trying to build a "Good" troubleshooting guide for the card. Since it is the "Best Bad" 256 mb card out now.

Will

YEAH MINE DOES THE SAME THING, BUT IT IS A ATI MSI RADEON 9550-SE. IT WILL PLAY FOR A LITTLE WHILE THEN RESTARTS MY COMPUTER. REBOOT'S WHATEVER!!! EVERY TIME I WANT TO WATCH A DVD, VIDEO CLIP OR SOME SOFTWARE. LIKE ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, OR SOME OTHER COMPUTER GRAPHIC SOFTWARE.

I JUST BOUGHT THE COMPUTER, IT CAME WITH. IT'S BEEN GIVING ME PROBLEMS SINCE. I'M CALLING THE MANUFACTER TOMMORROW, TO CHECK TO SEE WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG.

I,M GRABBING NEW DRIVERS AS WELL. IF YOU CAN HELP ME PLEASE, LEAVE ME A E-MAIL AT JOSHUA_BANTA@YAHOO.COM

THANKS