Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shunt

CD-ROM troubles

Ok so I was just wondering if any one else had this problem or knows how to fix it, my bios detects my cd-rom drives and so does windows but when a cd is inserted it does not detect a disk in the drive. I have double checked the jumpers, bios settings and settings in windows I'm thinking its a problem in windows because I have even put cd-rom drives in external cases and tested them. Any help would be apriciated thanks smile

Usually, the more information you give, helps to diagnose the problem. Presuming that you are using XP, what kind of CD-Rom is it (brand name). Was it working previously and then quit working? Had you changed operating systems? Is this a new hardware installation in an old setup? Remember that CD roms do have their own firmware/software updates? Knowing your CD Rom drive, you may be able to do a firmware update that will allow the content of the drive to be visible. Also, keep in mind that a Readable/Writeable drive uses software that is not visible to Windows Explorer unless it is running in memory.

is the CDROM drive visible in My COmputer?

Is the CDROM drive visible in Device Manager?

If yes, then its just the AutoRun feature has been disabled.

You can enable some of them in the properties of CDROM drive

in My Computer and enable autorun for different type of files on the CDROM.

There is also a registry fix, look for

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDROM and make sure the AutoRun value is set to 1.