Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LPH

How to install Dungeon Keeper 2 under Windows XP SP2

Hi all, I got xp pro p4 3.0GHz GeForce 4

using all written in this site I hope everything is running

BUT the hand cursor background is not transperent as it should be, but green, pretty annoying.

Thanks.

hey all

I need also some help with DK II

i have all done what you said, but when i want to start the game there comes a window that says, that DKII.exe has a problem and has ended...then you can send a "problemletter" to microsoft, don't know what to do now...

thanks for help

(sry for my english, but I#m from germany...) wink

Sorry for reopening an old thread but i've looked everywhere to find out how to make DK2 work on my XP Pro SP2: I followed the steps and now I get this message after the movie clips...

dk2mw.jpg

Please help.

I doesn't have option "EmulateSlowCPU" in this program, but it's version 4.1 not 3.0, I couldn't find version 3.0 anywhere. Maybe I have this problem because I don't have Windows XP with SP2?

Thanks in advice,

True Rastaman 8)

If you are using Windows 2000 then "EmulateSlowCPU" isn't encluded in the App Compat database included with Windows 200. (It's only in XP/2003) Unless your are privy to internal Microsoft App Database tools then no, you cannot get that option in Windows 2000.

The good news is that "EmulateSlowCPU" isn't required in Windows 2000 because I've played DK/DK2 in Windows 2000 plenty of times.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
If you are using Windows 2000 then "EmulateSlowCPU" isn't encluded in the App Compat database included with Windows 200. (It's only in XP/2003) Unless your are privy to internal Microsoft App Database tools then no, you cannot get that option in Windows 2000.

The good news is that "EmulateSlowCPU" isn't required in Windows 2000 because I've played DK/DK2 in Windows 2000 plenty of times.

But I'm using Windows XP Professional Edition. smirk I also know that I doesn't need this option in Windows 2k because I played DK2 on it too.

Hi all.

I am new to this forum, and I registered here with one purpose only; to make dungeon keeper work.

I recently found my old copy of DK II, and I felt an urge to play it. When I wanted to install it, I inserted CD 2 at first, because I want it in Danish. It allows me to BEGIN the install, but at 31% it stops and asks for CD 1. I insert CD 1 and click retry and then, nothing happens.

I'm pretty lost here, I've tried mounting it with both Daemon and Alcohol 120, but neither seems to work, so I really hope that some of you veterans can help me out here. smile

Thanks in advance!

2. Apply patch 1.7.

(if you during installation get an error message saying "Can't run 16-bit Windows Program. Cannot find file..."

then go to Start - Run... and type regedit. Make sure the following key is disabled (set to 0):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=0)

3. Install Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (use Google to find it - it's free from Microsoft).

Can any1 tell me how 2 do this whole thing without the patch and with toolkit 4.1, because i cant get toolkit 3.0 or the patch.

okay, plse 4get last posting by me, if any1 was thinking of replying. i was looking at the wrong thing.

My game installs, but when i try 2 run DKeeper2, i get this message ; 'Please insert Key CD-ROM, press OK and restart application'. The only CD Is in 1 of my 2 drives, switching from one 2 the other doesn't work, and i have both windows 98 & Xp on my computer, drives C and D respectively.

Can any1 tell me what is wrong??? frown

hi people- i also have a problem with dungeon keeper 2.

i am no computer expert (at all) and here is my problem-

when i put in disk 2 and press play it comes up with DKII.exe. has a problem. when i put in disk one and click the icon in my start menu it works but the sound is dodgy and sometimes the narrator dude sounds as if he is speaking the same thing twice. then it may run for a bit but then comes up with the same problem as before. Any way of fixing this?

edit- im running on windows xp

when mine started doing this i disabled Qsound in the audio options and it seemed to work.. try that and tell me if it works for you

Any help would be MOST APPRECIATED HERE!

OS = Windows XP Home, SP2. Game looks and runs beautifully EXCEP for the NUMBEROUS CRASHES. I have looked all over the web and am at a loss now as what to do.

I have installed Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 4.1, but instructions say to install the patch before using this tool.

Trying to install Patch 1.7, error recieved:

Old File not found. However, a file of the same name

was found. No update done since file contents do not match.

Installation Failed!

My Registry Editor:

Name: Type: Data:

NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

Value set to 0 and still the above error. What can I do please?

hmm try to install the 1.30 - 1.51 then the 1.51 - 1.61 u can dl them free from fileplanet.com or something search after them on google.

i wish i could go back and install them instead of 1.7, in my case my 1.7 update dosnt seem to have had the files from 1.51 and 1.61 (Cheats, special units, high resolution and such) instead of just a few skirmish maps and a new units maiden .. smirk

btw i also got a problem with dk2 i couldnt find anyone yet with the same problem so i hope some of you can help me.

After playing for about 15-30min the game closes down.. nope the computer restarts and just before that, it shows a blue picture where something is written, but i cant read it. it startet today and im in map 19 (soon done) ill just cant complete the rest if i have this problem.

please help smile

Having the same problem as Freak_out earlier on but i don't know how to see your signature?? Can anyone help me out?

I've tried everything to stop it from Crashing, so far none have worked, only prolonging it. Tried the 1.7 WinXP Compatible exe but in 10mins it crashed on me.

This worked for me:

None of the solutions worked for me, so I tried my own way with the toolkit, now it works, without crashes.

1. Full install

2. Apply 1.7 patch

3. Get the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit (4.1)

(google)

4. Run from tools: Compatibility Administrator

5. Click fix

6. Name: Dungeon Keeper 2

Vendor: Bullfrog

Location is DKII.exe (from your game directory)

7. Operation system modes is win 98/ME

Next.

8. Auto-genereate

Next.

9. Save

10. Go to your new made databse (below custom databases)

Rightclick on it, install.

11. Play the game

Hope this works for you. You can apply a no cd-patch if you like.

Let me know if it works

Ok sweet thread. What to do if the installer won't start... at all? I get the splash screen, click install... back at the splash screen without anything happening... Tried running the file directly etc can't get it to work...

Machine: 64 bit AMD system

Funnily enough my DK2's been running fine with no crashes on XP SP2 (touch wood).

Thing is, I can't get the 1.3-1.7 patch installer to run. I run it and it unpacks all the files then just drops. I manually unpacked the setup files using 7-zip and put them into their own directory, but the SETUP.exe file still won't run at all- no errors, just nothing happens.

I've seen a few other people with this problem, any idea what the fix may be? Perhaps I'm running the wrong version of DK2, but I have no idea where to find my current build. There's no info on dk2.exe, the readme gives me nothing and it's not written like "v1.xx" in the bottom corner of any of the loading/menu screens in-game frown Any ideas?

Thanks in advance wink

Actually, I compared my current DK2.exe file to one that was confirmed to be an original v1.3 and they're the exact same size, so it looks like I'm on 1.3 like I should be for the patch. It's still not working though, any ideas?

Its a bit late, but Ive found a way to get the 1.7 patch working on XP SP3. I used to get the 16bit program error. I used 7zip to unpack the patch file on to my desktop. I installed the game into its default directory. I copied the 'setup' file from the cd into the game folder. Then clicked to run the setup file (unpacked from the patch) on my desktop and it patched the game. I was at v1.3 and now Im at v1.7

HTH