Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LPH

How to install Dungeon Keeper 2 under Windows XP SP2

1. Full install Dungeon Keeper 2.

2. Apply patch 1.7.

(if you during installation get an error message saying "Can't run 16-bit Windows Program. Cannot find file..."

then go to Start - Run... and type regedit. Make sure the following key is disabled (set to 0):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=0)

3. Install Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (use Google to find it - it's free from Microsoft).

4. Run the program and create a new database.

5. Click Fix.

6. Name of the program to be fixed: Dungeon Keeper 2 - Name of the vendor for this program: Bullfrog Productions.

7. Program file location: Browse for the location of Dkii.exe in gamedir.

8. Operating System Modes: None - Click Next.

9. Compatibility Fixes: select EmulateSlowCPU - Click Next.

10. Click Finish.

11. Choose File and Install and then exit the program.

12. Create a shortcut for Dkii.exe, choose properties and add -32biteverything in the Target commandline

(it should look something like this: "C:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe" -32biteverything).

13. Run the shortcut to start the game.

Welcome to NTCompatible LPH, good to have another member to contribute to the forums on here.

Couldn't help noticing you have posted the same solution in multiple threads. Whilst I/we all appreciate your input and solution to this apparent Dungeon Keeper 2 problem, there is really no need to post THE SAME solution to each thread, but just one, as this moves the thread up the list, and will be shown aswell as the others if anyone searches for the solution. If you really feel it is necessary, then just post a link to your solution in the other threads, thanks for your time, Waffler.

Sorry about that Waffler! I just spent a lot of time trying to get Dungeon Keeper 2 to work and if you do a Google search on this old game one of the first sites that comes up is NT Compatible. So when I finally found the solution I just wanted to help people by sharing it on the net so that they should not use as much time struggling with it as I have been.

Should I delete the other posts and just keep the two main ones ?

Nah I shouldn't bother, I just thought I would give you a suggestion. If this website is one of the first to come up on Google, then I guess more posts means more search results, and maybe more hits, who knows?

Not to detract from the message concerning Dungeon Keeper 2, but maybe someone could offer me some help on a related subject?

I recently purchased a copy of Dungeon Keeper Gold from a gaming store, the game was opened and previously used, but I thought it was a great deal for such a classical game, that I have not played in years...

Anyway, I get it home and I install it just fine (Windows XP, sp1, plenty of memory for the game to run and such) - But, when it is all done and I load up the game, I am greeted with an opening screen... before it cuts to a screen of a red CD, with a Question(?) mark above it.

I tried inserting the disks that came in the box, but the game won't run or advance beyond this point...

Can anyone help me with this problem? Do I need to buy a new copy of the game? Did I install it wrong? Is it possible to circumvent or find a way to get around it online?

I assume Dungeon Keeper Gold is Dungeon Keeper 1? Maybe you should try my solution for Dungeon Keeper 2 with a few modifications - something like this:

1. Full install Dungeon Keeper 1.

2. Install Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (use Google to find it - it's free from Microsoft).

3. Run the program and create a new database.

4. Click Fix.

5. Name of the program to be fixed: Dungeon Keeper 1 - Name of the vendor for this program: Bullfrog Productions.

6. Program file location: Browse for the location of Dk1.exe (or what the game's main .exe file is called) in gamedir.

7. Operating System Modes: None - Click Next.

8. Compatibility Fixes: select EmulateSlowCPU - Click Next.

9. Click Finish.

10. Choose File and Install and then exit the program.

11. Start the game.

This way you will emulate a slow CPU which might work for Dungeon Keeper 1 as it did for 2. Please tell me Goravia how did you find this thread?

Hi, LPH, thanks for sharing your experice on making DK2 works under windows XP SP2. I agree with you that we should emulate a slow CPU, and I tried Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0, I clicked select EmulateSlowCPU and installed it. but it seems nothing happened to DK2.exe under your step, and Dk2 keep crash constantly. And I found if I use the lowest speed to play game, it will not crash, but that will be too slow.

sounds good only 1 thing really shouldn't the title be how to play or run dk2 in xp sp2 since your whole explination is based on a full install of dk2 which in my case is where the problem lies

I get to about 62% of the install when it hangs on this file speech_level10HD.SDT and then gives me an error saying an error -1 occurred whilst copying files then exits and removes any copied files I can't even manually copy the file as I get invald ms-dos process any clues on how to get this to install would be appreciated (and yes just to confirm it is the full retail english version of DK2 not a copied hacked or pirated version) thanks all

i want 2 install dk2 under win. xp sp2 but it gives me the error:

16-bits windows-substystem

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. this systemfile ain't compatable 4 MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows ..... . choose exit to close the program.

is there some way 2 make it install because what LPH replayed on all post ain't working frown

btw if someone speaks dutch it would help laugh

my version cr*pped out and i need to uninstall the game, but i get an error saying something like "the log file 'C:\Program files\bullfrog\dungeon keeper 2\uninst.isu' is not valid or the data has been corrupted. Uninstallation will not continue." so now it's stuck on my pc and doesn't work, any ideas? and yes i am running in XP (Home edition)

Just reinstall, then uninstall, then install again. Somehow your uninst.isu was corrupted or not found as the error message stated.

it says: "Uninstaller failed to initialize. You may not be able to uninstall this product." so i clicked "OK" an it installed... so now... i gotta do the before said things to get it to work in XP :P

Thanks guys (and gals if there are some)

Tnx alot i think a lot of ppl didn't know that and that now more ppl can play the game again :D:D

okay now i got a new problem, the menu texts in the start up to the game (where you select single player, etc) and the "yes/no" options to do a level do not appear, any ideas?

LPH:

I just registered to say

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much, so far this fix has worked fine! If it runs a little slow that's fine I am just glad to be able to play this great game again!!

The exact same thing happens to me. There is no menu screen when the game starts now. Am I doing something wrong? Please help, I love this game!

Quote:
12. Create a shortcut for Dkii.exe, choose properties and add -32biteverything in the Target commandline
(it should look something like this: "C:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe" -32biteverything).

13. Run the shortcut to start the game.

Hi all,

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if someone can help.

I have followed all of the instructions but if I create the shortcut with the -32biteverything flag the game doesn't even start. A brief moment where the hourglass shows, a quick read of the cdrom and then nothing.

If I leave off the -32biteverything I am back to the sound crashing and freezing the game.

Has anyone had anything similar?

Can anyone suggest a way to fix this?

Many thanks!!!

Originally posted by therev:

Quote:
sounds good only 1 thing really shouldn't the title be how to play or run dk2 in xp sp2 since your whole explination is based on a full install of dk2 which in my case is where the problem lies

I get to about 62% of the install when it hangs on this file speech_level10HD.SDT and then gives me an error saying an error -1 occurred whilst copying files then exits and removes any copied files I can't even manually copy the file as I get invald ms-dos process any clues on how to get this to install would be appreciated (and yes just to confirm it is the full retail english version of DK2 not a copied hacked or pirated version) thanks all

we have just been having this problem installing on the laptop... our solution, copy the files from the disk on one of the other computers, zip, then MSN them over to the laptop and install from that... worked a treat for us. we were getting an error 1 at 42%.

Now we just need to sort out why we can't play each other over our network... any networking guru's out there can help?

Paula

Hi, I know this is an old fourm but when I try to install the game it tells me.

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. this systemfile ain't compatable 4 MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows ..... . choose exit to close the program.

And my key is disabled and (set to 0

Please help me with this installation, it is a great game.

Hey i am trying to do the application fix but i don't have EmulateSlowCPU as an option. I am running version 3.0.98 on windows 2000 sp4. I am totally stumped can anyone help.

Hey i have a Windows XP and i also have a Windows 2000 And i was wondering Why My Dungeon Keeper 2 always crashes? Like it would work fine for the first 20 minutes then it would just crash.. oh and also I have Dungeon Keeper gold on my computer and i dont have the cd anymore, It broke in the cd drive.. Does anyone have a image file of it?

[Edited by Biggie-Sized on 2006-01-11 00:24:51]

Yeah... umm hi. I did everything LPH said to do about getting it to install on XP SP2, but no it works and everything, there is just no backgroud or map or even dungeon when i play the game.. so yeah kinda hard to play with the back ground is black and all i see is the mouse and if its the main screen i see the words... so yeah... if any1 knows wat to do please help.. Ty

~Frederik~

Hello there! Err.. Help please!

Ive done everything. Im using Win XP SP2. Ive copied. Change the reg key. Now, I cant install anymore. I click the autorun and install but nothing happen.

Ive check and it says this:

Device: CPU Family

Requirement: 80586 Class

Your System: 0

And it says I cant play it because of this.

So what am I gonna do?

[Edited by drazaloth on 2006-02-20 17:40:00]