Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roger J. Dickey, Mr.

Windows 2000 built in media player.

I have never seen or heard of this problem before and I am completely baffled.

I do a lot of work with music files and when testing my files, I find that the little media player which appears on the left side of the page when you highlight a music file(various formats)very handy since it is not necessary to load the media player of choice.This little player appears when you highlight a music file. You have play,stop and pause options and fast or back replay. There is a progress bar at the bottom which allows user to browse through file quickly. In the last few days, for reasons completely unknown to me, this player stopped functioning. It still appears when you highlight a music file but lacks the progress bar which is now blacked out. The Play and pause buttons are active, but file does not play and no sound is heard. I have checked and double checked every conceivable setting on my sound card and multimedia settings. Everything checks out. I verified the Win 2000 services setup to see if it might run from there...it doesn't. If I load Windows media player (full version) it plays OK. All my other players can decode and play my music so it is not a speaker or sound card problem. I looked through the Win 2K help menu but cannot find any reference to this little player. Can anyone out there help me. This is really a challenge!

Expofan

I think that the preview media function that appears when you highlight a compatible music file makes use of the media player application that is built into Windows (and a regmon scan seemed to confirm this).

You say that the files work in your other media players, and in "Windows Media Player", which version are you using? 2000 comes with 6.4 built in, but if you've upgraded to a later version, something might have gone arwy there.

The folder templates that control whether the media preview is enabled (including which file types can be previewed via this method) are located in 'c:\winnt\web'. You could check to make sure those files are all present and correct.

The only other thing I can think of is you might have installed some additional dodgy codecs (that may have been included with another media-player, game or a "mega codec pack") etc that may have damaged the preview feature (but then again you'd think that would affect your other players too).

Thanks Curley Boy,

I agree that the little player is most probably Windows Media Player. I upgraded to version 9 but this is a long time ago way before this happened so the upgrade is not the problem. I have searched everywhere in Windows Media to see if there is a tweak in the configuration files there but can't find anything. All seems normal. I tested again this afternoon and played Mp3 files, Wav files and Wmf files and they all played correctly. I will follow your advice and check in the Win Nt web file and see if I can tweak something there. I will akso check all my recent downloads and get back to you if I find anything worthwhile. I really appreciate the effort. I usually find a way to fix my problems myself bu this one has really got me stumped. Ha well that's the computer world for you!

Thanks again.