Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mthaler

First time adding an Apple OS 10.x to Win2k Network

I went ahead and added the File & print services for Mac & the Appletalk protocol. He can see the server, but not login. I have created an account for him.

Any pointers or tips here?

Thanks,

Maurice

If you want a user to login to Domain, you need to configure the Directory Access utility to connect to the domain via LDAP.

More info on Apple's Knowledge Base.

If you are performing simple file sharing and have Active Directory, then you might just want to have the Mac join the AD environment. As mentioned before, you will need to add the Active Directory authentication service to your Directory Access panel, join AD (make sure that you have DNS running properly, and that the Domain Controller has a valid reverse lookup record as the Mac checks it for validity) and you will be able to use Kerberos credentials for users in that environment via Samba (2.x for 10.2 and earlier, with 10.3+ getting Samba 3.x with Kerberos support).

If no AD, you can still try using smb://servername/sharename in Finder, and then enter the credentials of a valid user on the system to that share. That should work, provided you haven't hardened the security of the Windows 2000 box (such as using NTLMv2 or SMB Service Signing).

Being new to this Apple connectivity world, sorry for asking simple questions, but where do I get Samba 3 vs. 2. Is this on the Win2K Server side. I just installed the default Apple File & Print service that comes with the OS. Is this some new download I need to get?

Thanks for bearing with me :-)

-Maurice

Samba is a Linux/BSD/UNIX thing, and it came with the Apple, provided you are using OS X. What version of the Apple OS are you using?

It should be running Samba 3.x, and it is activated in the services panel. It's something like "Windows Sharing" or something like that. That will enable the laptop to share files with Windows boxes. In order to connect to a Windows box, you use Finder and bring up an address line (command-k I think) to enter your desired share. Use something like smb://myserver/myshare, and you should get prompted for credentials to use. This will work on a share-by-share basis. If you join the Mac to your domain, it would then use NTLM (NT4 or AD fallback) or Kerberos (AD primary) credentials.