Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
[php]

Mozilla and Konqueror

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I have used Slax Live CD and had the same problem as I am about to explain. I just built a new computer for the sole purpose of installing Mandrakelinux. My problem happened using live cd as well but web pages take forever to load in both these browsers. It says resolving for upto 45 to 60 seconds and the pages take forever. However I did a speedtest and the results were what I get with my windows xp set-up.. I use a Linksys router.

I searched the net and seen a few fixes to try but not sure which one to do. I am a total newbie to Linux..

I did try one fix that had you go into mozilla and set ipv6 or something like that to true and I did that but no improvement.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

The computer I built has 512mb ddr .. amd sempron 2500 + cpu..

120 gb wd 7200 rpm 8m cache..

That should be more than enough for Slack to do its thing. I don't think ipv6 is an issue. Most websites still use ipv4 or a combination of the two.

See if Slack has either links or lynx command line browser. These browsers have no pictures only text. Fire one of those up and see if you can detect a difference in speed surfing the net.

Can you link me to those pages that you found that have potential fixes for this problem?

Does Slack perform satisfactorily otherwise?

Hi Dan

I don't think I explained myself clear enough. But before I installed a linux os I wanted to try a live cd and I did and liked it. I have mandrake 10.1 official on it now.. But they both acted the same with the browser issue. Here is the link to one of the posts I was reading.. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/138541

And thanks for trying to help me.. I'm sure its just a setting somewhere that needs to changed. I'm glad I switched from windows to linux. I just need to get a few issues fixed and learn linux..

I'd guess maybe a setting somewhere, too. I run essentially the same system as you have described...512M RAM, but with an AMD XP3000 processor. I'm also using Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack and the Firefox browser. It runs like a rocket, as far as loading webpages. I'm on a broadband connection. I find it much faster than IE was with Windows XP on the same box.

-zenarcher

I am just using the two browsers that came with it. Mozilla isn't the same as Firefox is it? Did you go out and download firefox? I have DSL.. and I have a Linksys router hooked up.. I went to dslreports and did a speed test and it recordered 1mbit down and 500 kb up... But the pages take forever. Even to just go to google it takes a bit..

I tried one fix which I logged in as root and went to etc/kwrite modules.conf and added the following line alias net-pf-10 off, and then rebooted but that didn't fix it.. So I'm stumped here?

Did you try this solution?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189202

Try installing galeon and see if you get the same result:

As root:

urpmi galeon [enter]

Or try Firefox

It could *possibly* be an issue just with konqueror and Mozilla.

If I did this and got the same result, my next step would be to set all router options back to its defaults and see what happens.

Code:
<?phpinclude_once( "./inc/browser_funcs.php" );include_once( "./inc/local_html_files.php" );$goodTip = "DapperDan's last posting";if ( isMozillaSlow(cWITH_LOCAL_HTML_FILES) ) {__blameGeckoRenderingEngine( true );}else {__blameNetworkSettings( true );__checkOutGoodTip( $goodTip );}?>

hope you have chosen your nick wisely smile

cu

Yes, I did download and install Firefox. I had been using it with the old Windows XP system and like it very well. I am also using a Linksys router...BEEFW1154. I am using a cable connection and just did a speed check...which is a Saturday afternoon, so a lot of connections, I'm sure...Here are the results.

Communications 2.1 megabits per second

Storage 257.3 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 4 seconds

Subjective rating Great

-zenarcher

smile I got it figured out... It had nothing to do with any of the setting changes I did... I went into internet connections and where it says 1st DNS Server I entered the gateway address of my router and clicked ok.. Tried Mozilla and boom its flying..

I know this maybe should go in a new topic but I have tried to use different screensavers that come with the system and I can click on one go through setup and test and hit ok.. But when the screensaver comes on there is just a black screen. The Mandrake Slideshow one works fine. Any Ideas?

Linux Rocks..