Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tnwaxman

Low level Format Samsung Hd

Hi i have a 4 month old samsung hard drive that has had a few virus on. i cleaned it but i would also like to do a low level format to be sure. i went up to the samsung site but couldnt find any utilities to do this. Maxtor blaster didnt work either any suggestions anyone?

It does not appear that Samsung offers utilities like this that all the other storage makers do. They only refer you to Ontrack to d/l their Data Advisor app.

However I did a GOOGLE search and there is some possible solutions out there, good luck smile

As far as I am concerned I would avoid doing a Low Level format of the hard disk to remove a virus. This type of format is normally done at the factory level and also when you are selling your old computer with the hard disk.

However, since you have made up your mind I would like to draw your attention to one utility available at Samsung's website which can be safely used for such fomatting. Also, please remember that this utility should be used for formatting your hard drive before selling your old computer with it.

Now here is the link and the name of the software. One more thing. Please avoid using utilities of other hard disk manufacturing companies to format your Samsung drive. Every hard disk manufacturer have their own utilities for such task.

Link-

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

Once you are there click on the button labeled "Utility Download" on the left of your screen. You will find two utilities listed on the page. Download the utility named HUTIL. Do not forget to print the webpage and also any other readme file you may find there.

Well actually real low level format can only be done at factory during manufacturing procedure. The utilities available at the manufacturer's website in reailty performs zero fill. If samsung doesn't provide a utility for "low level format", then you may use maxtor's powermax, which have the ability to zero fill all make's hard drive.