Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MobiusM1

Computer won't boot after running Knoppix

after running knoppix on a Pentium 4 DELL GX260, the computer will no longer boot from the HD -- when you turn it on, nothing happens.. no feed to the monitor or anything. is there a way of fixing this?

Did you do a hard drive install of Knoppix, or run it off the Live CD?

If a hard drive install how did you choose the bootloader?

What version of Knoppix is this? Do you have Windows XP on the system as well?

No installation, I only ran from the CD. I only used it to browse the net, but shut it down again when I couldn't access my email (which used flash)

NTFS filesystem, the installed OS is XP. I did not mount the HD or make any attempt to access it though, so I did not expect any problems.

Then there is no reason why Knoppix should cause a problem.

When you exited Knoppix, did you allow a normal shutdown, or just power off the computer?

When rebooting or turning on the system, do you get a post (bios messages) and any beeps? Can you hear the cpu fan spinning? And you did remove the Knoppix cdrom before re-booting?

If so, does Windows try to start, or do you just get a blank screen at this point?

Is the monitor power indicator on at boot?

Is the cdrom drive that you used to boot Knoppix an internal one, or external cdrom drive?

I think the most impt qn that danleff has posted would be whether you allowed knoppix a normal shutdown or just switched off the CPU. I experienced quite a bit of problems before when i didnt do a proper shutdown in knoppix.

I ran the shutdown from Knoppix, and took out the CD and pressed enter when it instructed me to do so.

When I try to reboot, the tower powers on, but does not send the monitor any feed, nor does it make any beeps (this may be because it has no external speakers)The CPU fan spins up, but nothng else happens. Knoppix CD is out of the drive at this point. The monitor power light indicates power on, but no feed, and the sceen is blank.

The CD drive is internal.

In order to boot to the Knoppix CD, I had to select the CD from the boot options on powerup, but it's not even giving me that option at this point.

It's not my computer, and is, apparently, the second one to have been killed in this fashion in the last week.

Same problem here.... Did everything it said to do...

Ran it from the CD just fine...

After I took out the cd and hit return-like it said...

it died.

Now it won't boot form CD or floppy or HD.... the power light comes on... the KB lights up for a sec and then dies... and there is no signal going to the display..

NOTHING.... any help?????

Power down if your computer is on. Try disconnecting the monitor and starting the computer without a connected monitor. Power down and reconnect your monitor.

If you still have no video signal when you power up, power down and physically remove your video card (hopefully you're not using onboard video and have a card that can be removed). Power up with the card removed and power down again. Reinsert your video card and power up again.

Good luck...

Before you go removing hardware, try shutting down the system totally for 2-3 minutes. Make sure the Knoppix cd is not in the cdrom drive.

Re-start the system and see if you get a post messages. If it boots, good. If not, get into the bios setup.

Look at the boot order when you get into the bios. Did you just change the first boot order to the cd, or do you have another entry for the hard drive, which should be hdd0, say the second boot device.

If not change the boot order to make sure the hard drive shows as a boot option. If it is there, save the changes and re-boot.

Post back the results, please.

What makes this difficult, is if you get no beeps during startup. Generally, bios beeps let you know if there is a hardware issue. Generally you get 1 or 2 beeps, which tells you that the hardware is ok. If there is no speaker in the system, this complicates troubleshooting a bit.

Shut down your box properly, and unplug it for 30 seconds or more. Plug it back in and everything should reboot normally. I have the same problem on my Dell box after running certain Live CDs, Knoppix being one of them. I have no idea what causes this. I have speculated, (I'm sure wrongly) that the Live CD somehow gets "stuck" in the memory, and won't go away unless you unplug the box. This works for me every time. smile