Windows XP SP2 install and configuration problems - HELP
Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:10 PM
1) System initially was missing the start menu and taskbar at the bottom of the screen, this rectified itself after rebooting the system twice.
2) System takes significantly longer to boot up then it used to, not unreasonble times (I understand that SP2 causes your system to take a little longer to boot after the initial installation), but it's at least double to triple the time previously.
3) Windows Update no longer works properly. I've tried using Windows Update, the site opens, I receive a blank web page - done.
4) ActiveX driven webpages no longer work in IE. I don't even get a warning prompt to click-through. This makes it difficult to see if there are any additional updates (drivers, etc) on IBM's support website for my system that may help with some of the SP2 compatibility issues.
5) Printers have disappeared. When I try to add a printer I receive the following message: "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running."
6) Windows Messenger no longer works. I try to start the application, nothing happens.
7) Network connections no longer seems to work properly. The icons normally present in the lower right hand part of the task bar are gone. I cannot add any new network connections, however my computer is recognizing my wireless router.
The good news, all my other reasonably important apps to accomplish any work (Outlook, Outlook Express, Excel, Word, PPT) seems to be working without issue.
Luckily Firefox without issues (kind of ironic I think). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:17 PM
Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:36 PM
Wow - thanks for the quick reply, I'll try to tackle these issues one at a time (starting with the ActiveX/Windows Update issues). Currently I don't get any prompts whatsoever when I try to access an ActiveX webpage. I'll fiddle with IE's settings and hopefully get it to work (at least intially).
The problem I foresee is that it's currently set to prompt for permission for ActiveX... and I get nothing.
In hindsight I'm glad I got started on this update on the weekend - have a good one!
Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:42 PM
"MSN Messenger setup has failed with error code: '1601'. Please got to the MSN Messenger Website and download the software from there."
Which is exactly what I did - looks like it's going to be a long day. I think I see a lot of football in my future.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users